Wedding photogs

mmrmnhrm

Looking for suggestions on how to negotiate on price... fiancee and I have looked at a couple of shops where everything is bundled (engagement, wedding, edit/retouch, prints, albums, mugs, yaddayadda), and given we have a professional graphic designer, a published "pro-sumer," and two Photoshoppers in the family, all we really want is just someone with a good eye and good glass who can shoot while we have fun, then send us the files when it's over. The wedding's in Cleveland, so this is more a "What's a reasonable price for 4-6 hours" than "send me your bids" (unless, of course, you do want to spend the day up there).

More of a recommendation: I have a close friend I went to college with who lives up in Shaker Heights. She has an amazing eye behind a camera!

http://www.laurenclifford.com/

No idea on pricing. She may be able to take the shots and let you do the rest; you'd probably just have to ask. If you do speak with her tell her Adam Rainwater sent ya.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, kinda expected Trish (and Tim) to at least comment, but whether or not they want to drive up to Cleveland is an entirely different matter :)

Sorry for chiming in late. We were on vacation and I have a ton of emails and work to get caught up on still.

I wish I could help on your needs. I think Trish and Tractor here do weddings. The friend I use and partner with is going to be outside what you're looking to have done. My gigs typically involve on-site parties, business functions and events but not weddings. That's a vertical within my realm but not what I focus on. Pun intended.

FWIW, you're best off spending a few bucks and getting a solid wedding photographer in the area where you will be. Otherwise, you'll be tacking on travel and expenses which won't be cheap.

As has been said, not many are going to hand over unedited files for you to edit. Taking the photos is only maybe a third of the work involved in making nice wedding photos. Another important part is editing, but its "editing to the vision" the photog has during the wedding day. While I take a photo at a wedding a number of things are going through my head about how I want that photo to look when I'm finished and I take note of different aspects to ensure I remember try to get what I want out of the final image once I'm at home a few days later.

Yet another important part and probably the most important is that you hire a professional who is going to finish the job. I know you want someone to just take some photos and give you the unfinished product for your friends/family to finish for you, but do consider that it may never happen or may get delayed many months/years for unforeseen reasons. If you'd hired a pro and in my case you'd get your photos within 30 days of the wedding and normally I have them ready within 15 days.

As for negotiating myself I can move my price some because on my site and in my material I post a starting price for an average set of items and a wedding thats going to take me the full day to shoot 10-14hrs or so not counting any driving, and I include the complete DVD.

As you've probably found out, there are as many pricing plans as their are photographers so its very hard to say how or how much negotiating any one photog can do.

Well, to close the thread (more or less)...

Went with a studio out of Cleveland that a HS classmate has been with for about 5 years now, and a couple of others have used for theirs. Our cost was a little lower than what some folks PM'd me, with the agreement that we would get a DVD of unedited shots, and they are free to do anything they like for promotions and advertising. We also plan on picking maybe 20 or so to put into an album of their design as well.

I know you want someone to just take some photos and give you the unfinished product for your friends/family to finish for you, but do consider that it may never happen or may get delayed many months/years for unforeseen reasons.

We've actually got a published photog on the guest list, and a semi-pro expected as the date of another guest, but in both cases we decided against asking them for sorta this reason... the first would spend *HOURS* trying to pose us perfectly instead of getting that two-minute 98% and doing the last 2% in PS, while the second would likely see the first's gear and want to talk shop (cue Nikon v. Canon fanboi war).

We've actually got a published photog on the guest list, and a semi-pro expected as the date of another guest, but in both cases we decided against asking them for sorta this reason... the first would spend *HOURS* trying to pose us perfectly instead of getting that two-minute 98% and doing the last 2% in PS, while the second would likely see the first's gear and want to talk shop (cue Nikon v. Canon fanboi war).

Haha, I know how that would end up. I did a wedding in The Bahamas where the Brides grandfather and father were old pros from the newpaper industry.

I tell ya what though, I learned to just move the darn, insert "chair, cord, etc" instead of messing with it in PP. Takes < 10 seconds now, or could be a mess later. I don't count on being able to remove it at all because you just never know how it will be effected once you click the button.