Looking for 1st handgun v. conceal carry

Ramsey

Im looking to get a handgun that i will carry everyday, which means i will shooting at least once a month at the range. Im hoping to spend arround 500, but max is 750. Also, looking for something that isnt going to break my bank for range ammo. Ive been looking at the baby glocks or maybe the smaller ruger lc9.

What should i rent to try? where should i go to rent/buy from?

What side of town are you on? Blackwing is the closest to me with a buttload of things to rent. Hold a bunch of pistols, narrow it down to half a dozen that feel really good in your hand and are good reputable manufacturers, then rent them.

What side of town are you on? Blackwing is the closest to me with a buttload of things to rent. Hold a bunch of pistols, narrow it down to half a dozen that feel really good in your hand and are good reputable manufacturers, then rent them.

dublin, but i would make the trip for a knowledgeable sales person and rent friendly range.

Yup. Great people and inventory at Blackwing.

-Marc

I like my Kahr CW9. Easy to conceal and easy to get in good range time with.

I like going to Lancaster. They have a good variety of guns to rent and have lots of variety for purchase. Range time and ammo are cheap too if you get ammo there. They normally have some good deals.

My roommate likes his Kel Tec PF9, but I hate shooting it.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Cant go wrong with a Glock. I just picked up a G19 9mm. You're more than welcome to come take a look and shoot it. Ammo isnt too expesive either. Target rounds are about $60 for 250 rounds

You can do a little better than that if you want to. I buy from here often: http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=46&name=9mm

You're gonna get TONS of opinions, as always.

If you want the MOST reliable for self def get a revolver. S&W .38 special is a nice, easy carry.

If you want semi shoot the Glock 23, S&W M&P, Springfield XD9/XD40 sc, and Ruger SR9c/SR40c. I'd trust any of those with my life. Not that I wouldn't with a few others, but these 4, IMO, are the best starting point.

I have a S&W 5906. I like the balance of the steel type frame. If you are going with a full size 9mm or similar, try shooting the glock (nylon-based polymer frame) vs some of the other types (Alloy or Steel) to see what feels comfortable to you - thats what helped me decide..

Glock 19 is a great compromise between carry and still having a full grip for regular range visits. Of course pretty much all the decent compacts have grip extensions, or take the fullsize mags and a sleeve.

FWIW I've been loving my M&P9C. I think Kyles list is pretty much on point, but I'd also shoot the SR9C. I've really liked that pistol, and its a bit cheaper, enough for a nice holster.

Elaborate on feedback?

+1

Comparing on both .40 subcompact models (using the same ammo), the Glock certainly kicked harder than the S&W. Follow up shots were quicker, and the overall trigger feel was much smoother with the S&W compared to the glock.

Unless you have giant hands I think the Kahr P9 or CW9 is hard to beat. It's super thin, light, well made and accurate. It's just long enough that most people can fit all fingers on the grip which makes it much less flippy than most subcompacts, especially the J-frame smiths that everyone wants to like but tend to hate in actual use.

Comparing on both .40 subcompact models (using the same ammo), the Glock certainly kicked harder than the S&W. Follow up shots were quicker, and the overall trigger feel was much smoother with the S&W compared to the glock.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like the feel of actually firing a Glock. Don't get me wrong, I'd trust one with my life, but I love my pistol, trust it with my life, and with the 17 round mag or 10 rounds + pinky grip extension I can shoot comfortably all day if need be.

As many as you can afford. I'd say minimum 100.

Bingo.

If we can set up a time to meet at the range I can bring an FNP9, FNP40, XD40 sc, SR9c, S&W .38 spl, and Bersa Thunder 9 for you to try. Just got to get our schedules to work and I'd be happy to let you try some. Wouldn't be any help with a Glock or M&P though.