Car Ideas (for wife)

Xyster101

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the fact that it's not a true manual.....

DSG isn't for everyone, I think it's a blast though!

Did you post up the for sale specifics anywhere? I ask because I was curious and I didn't want to ask for all your business here. And I didn't want to hijack this thread.

Did you post up the for sale specifics anywhere? I ask because I was curious and I didn't want to ask for all your business here. And I didn't want to hijack this thread.

I figured there is a very limited audience for the car here.

I posted it on the Audi specific forums, where I figure people are searching everyday for them.

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=67549

I'll hotlink that in my sig though.

Did you already get your S5? When Jones said he was going to sell his S4 I immediately though "Tilley or this guy". Doooo Etttt. :fuckyeah:

What is a DSG? I would be interested in the car, but has to be a manual.

It's a manual without a clutch pedal. When you hear Dual Clutch (I think Ford) DSG/S-Tronic (I think VW/Audi), this is what they are talking about, just different flavors. The clutch(es) are electrically controlled. Except, instead of all of the gears being in 1 set they are in 2 sets with 2 different clutches. They are grouped in 1st, 3rd & 5th, and 2nd, 4th & 6th. So during the 1st to 2nd gear shift, as 1st is releasing, 2nd is applying at kind of the same time. The DBW (drive by wire throttle) is also doing a rev match at the same time. In a good implementation, like the B8 S4, the shift is perfect and quick every time. You can put it in manual auto mode if you want for putzing around town or in stop and go traffic, or put it in manual mode and have some fun. The best of both worlds, IMHO. AFAIK in the S4 the DSG is faster than the manual S4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-clutch-transmission.htm

Those who complain about this 'not being like a manual' and 'being too easy' just drive in straight lines and have never even tried to heel and toe while braking at the limit, going through a complex corner sliding the car around.

Those who complain about this 'not being like a manual' and 'being too easy' just drive in straight lines and have never even tried to heel and toe while braking at the limit, going through a complex corner sliding the car around.

I'm not sure what the former has to do with the latter. I'd probably tolerate a DSG gearbox in a track car, especially if I were actually trying to be fast, but I still don't see how it's more fun. And I don't care if my daily drivers are fast (in fact, I prefer them to be slow), as long they're fun and engaging, and I like my clutch pedals in that respect.

But, to each their own.

What is a DSG? I would be interested in the car, but has to be a manual.

Why are you so hard up for a manual?

I wouldn't even consider a manual for a DD or your wife. DSG is a million times better for the application you would be using it...

I would SERIOUSLY consider Jones car, might be a perfect time for you to pickup a nice S4 that's very quick at the right price...

Wife went out in 2003 and bought a new Civic stick, she could not drive stick but wanted to learn. Since then she has lived in Canada, NYC and Long Island (think Sawmill Pkwy everywhere), commuted to OSU.

Sticks suck in NYC and Long Island traffic where it takes 30 min to go 2 miles, but autos make a car so lifeless. We drove a stick A3/A5 and auto Genesis 2.0, A4 and G37. I romp on the gas going into a turn, and the autos would downshift and start to pull after the turn (I guess I need to stomp sooner). Once you learn to leave a small space in traffic, a stick is not bad in Columbus "traffic" if you want to call it traffic.

We have a 03 Civic and Element and a 91 MR2, all stick. I love to drive, I love to be connected with the car, even an Element. I have never owned an auto and to us, you loose that "connected" feel in an auto, even autos with "sport" mode is not a stick.

Jones's car sounds like a good deal, hopped up a bit, taken care of, S model, but we want a stick. I understand how paddles are better on a track, but the wife would never let me take a $45k car to the track (MR2 goes, but that is $5k).

sts-pattern-design-prarie_large.png

Wife went out in 2003 and bought a new Civic stick, she could not drive stick but wanted to learn. Since then she has lived in Canada, NYC and Long Island (think Sawmill Pkwy everywhere), commuted to OSU.

Sticks suck in NYC and Long Island traffic where it takes 30 min to go 2 miles, but autos make a car so lifeless. We drove a stick A3/A5 and auto Genesis 2.0, A4 and G37. I romp on the gas going into a turn, and the autos would downshift and start to pull after the turn (I guess I need to stomp sooner). Once you learn to leave a small space in traffic, a stick is not bad in Columbus "traffic" if you want to call it traffic.

We have a 03 Civic and Element and a 91 MR2, all stick. I love to drive, I love to be connected with the car, even an Element. I have never owned an auto and to us, you loose that "connected" feel in an auto, even autos with "sport" mode is not a stick.

Jones's car sounds like a good deal, hopped up a bit, taken care of, S model, but we want a stick. I understand how paddles are better on a track, but the wife would never let me take a $45k car to the track (MR2 goes, but that is $5k).

This makes about as much sense as you paying $40k for a USED car with 50k-miles for your WIFE to use as a DD.... :dumb:

This makes about as much sense as you paying $40k for a USED car with 50k-miles for your WIFE to use as a DD.... :dumb:

I don't understand this thinking or your data. We were looking at an A5 with 17k miles, she only puts 7-10k on a car a year, she is keeping the civic for city, mall and bad weather driving. Maybe a DD is the wrong term, more like a DD 70% of the time.

She makes 3x my salary, if she wants a $40k car as a gift for going to school and studying her ass off the past 15 years, that is fine with me, she earned it.

Autos to us feel disconnected.

Sticks are more fun and one feels connected to the engine better.

We all have our preferences. Many guys on here love Mustangs, especially the ones from the 90's. Personally I don't like them. My parents had a 1990 5.0 auto. It was slow, handled poorly on turns, and was heavy. The is my personal feeling and many people feel different. You like driving an auto as does 90% of the population and that is fine.

I don't understand this thinking or your data. We were looking at an A5 with 17k miles, she only puts 7-10k on a car a year, she is keeping the civic for city, mall and bad weather driving. Maybe a DD is the wrong term, more like a DD 70% of the time.

She makes 3x my salary, if she wants a $40k car as a gift for going to school and studying her ass off the past 15 years, that is fine with me, she earned it.

Autos to us feel disconnected.

Sticks are more fun and one feels connected to the engine better.

We all have our preferences. Many guys on here love Mustangs, especially the ones from the 90's. Personally I don't like them. My parents had a 1990 5.0 auto. It was slow, handled poorly on turns, and was heavy. The is my personal feeling and many people feel different. You like driving an auto as does 90% of the population and that is fine.

It doesn't have anything to do with buying a manual, that is fine but to totally disregard all other options because its an auto is silly.

My concern is you/her buying a USED $40k car that may or may not be at the top of your budget with mileage that puts it nearly out of warranty. That is just crazy IMO but feel free to do what you wish. I don't know what your finances look like and its not my business but what I'm gathering so far I would NEVER recommend someone to do.

Not to mention Jones S4 would be a MUCH better buy than anything listed yet auto, manual, whatever...

How lucky! It took way too much coaxing to get my wife to learn to drive a manual... but she now has one as her DD. (Honda Fit! very exciting.)

Some ideas

- RX8 (cheaper, decent handling, reliable if you check the oil)

- Porsche Boxster (more expensive, but comfortable and decent to drive)

- Lotus Elise (no luxury really, but a luxury brand... who knows she might like it)