9mm and .40 Self Defense Ammo Questions

M0nk3y

Sup Crew,

As I'll be taking my CCW class here shortly, I want to be well educated on what type of JHPs I should look into.

As for 9mm, I don't know what grain or anything that is recommended.

For .40, I've heard through the vines that 135 or 155g is a good number. I can't confirm any actual findings supporting these claims though.

I've researched and seen that Hydroshocks don't fair too well with clothing, so obviously that's out of the loop. Still interested in the +P and other variant ammo, don't really know how that effects anything.

I prefer Federal HSTs over most others, however, almost any modern HP will fair very well against 2-legged critters. As for bullet weight, I typically prefer moderately light and fast over slow and heavy. I feel that most of the modern stuff has adequate penetration; even the light weight stuff. So, I go for extra 'splat' vs. unneeded penetration. I also try to match practice ammo weight (FMJs) to carry ammo weight, just for some consistency.

And as always; shot placement > ammo selection. The world's best HP does you absolutely no good if they don't make contact.

I like the 230gr Hornady TAP in my Kimber. Find something that fits your budget and agrees with your firearm too. Run a few boxes through to make sure everything cycles properly. I bought 2 boxes of Hornady Critical Defense and had failures to feed because of the rubber tip catching on the feed ramp with the Critical Defense. I've run 150 rounds of TAP through it so far without a problem.

I prefer Federal HSTs over most others, however, almost any modern HP will fair very well against 2-legged critters. As for bullet weight, I typically prefer moderately light and fast over slow and heavy. I feel that most of the modern stuff has adequate penetration; even the light weight stuff. So, I go for extra 'splat' vs. unneeded penetration. I also try to match practice ammo weight (FMJs) to carry ammo weight, just for some consistency.

And as always; shot placement > ammo selection. The world's best HP does you absolutely no good if they don't make contact.

Austin's right on the money again.

I also trust this source in case you want some quick reading: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

I use Hornady TAP rounds in my 9mm and 45, nice velocity, almost no muzzle flash and will inflict serious damage upon impact of near anything. Cycle great in my TRP 45 and flawlessly in my XDM.

Good advice above though, its pricey to run a few boxes thru for testing but if they dont work it could cost ya alot more.

Best advice, grab a few boxes and go to the range, get some real world feedback.

I use Black Hills EXP 115gr 9mm. It's potent, accurate and reliable in my gun. It's also relatively inexpensive to shoot compared to some other choices on the market. It's a 50 round box for not much more than a 20 round box of "special" ammo.