looking to pick up a rifle.

Skinner

OK so went shooting last weekend at Rymer's and forgot how much I love shooting and want to pick up a rifle.

I would love to get a AR but right not that is really out of my price range of want I want to spend. So I am thinking of either a AK/ SKS or possibly a .22 in a AR or MP5 like body. I don't want junk but at the same time I really don't want to break the bank either. I would like to stay at around 300 to 350ish but also have the option to build up the rifle a bit. (optics and possibly a forgrip)

What should I be looking for and what would you get if you had the same money to spend?

10/22. Build from there.

Absolutely agreed. For very little money you can have a 10/22 that shoots way better than the assault rifle knockoffs. I should have kept my built 10/22. I'll have another. I have an SKS-M also and often I still wish I could spend all day at any range (indoor or outdoor) and only waste $30 worth of ammo.

I'd suggest a Savage .17HMR for that kind of money. And that's a good deal on the AK so long ad its not beat to shit

The .17HMR is a lot of fun for the money.

$250 for that AK package is a good deal even if the gun is half beat to hell.

Also look into a Mosin Nagant. Big bang for the buck. If you really have your heart set on an SKS, get it now because the prices on them are going to keep going up.

I wasn't a big fan of my 10/22 and sold it pretty quickly... if you are wanting a 22LR, wait for a sale on the MP 15/22 if your heart is set on a 22LR. the 15/22 is a 22 that looks and will take all the AR accessories.

I myself am looking for an SKS or AK if the price is right :-)