Looking for a Fish/Reptile tank

truckin

My 5 y/o son wants a Turtle and I hate to go spend $50-$100 on a new tank. I'd like to get a nice clean tank that he can setup for a small turtle or 2. Would like to find something that we won't have to change out in a few months. So probally a 10-50 Gal?

Like I said it's for my 5 y/o so who knows how long this interest will last. I've checked CL but figure if someone on here has one they wanna get rid of might as well start here.

Thanks

Just fyi, 10 isn't going to be large enough unless you plan on keeping a newly hatched turtle in it for like a week. I've seen far too many turtles mistreated due to ignorance. Be sure to do a bit of research if you haven't already and don't always believe what they tell you at the store.

Also, what kind of turtle is it? This will dictate the type of enclosure, etc.

I have an air pump with stone, undergravel filter, brand new whisper filter w/cartridge, heater for the colder months, some assorted decoration, and about 15lbs of aquarium gravel. All yours for $20, i'd also throw in a 10gal for free w/lid and clips.

Just fyi, 10 isn't going to be large enough unless you plan on keeping a newly hatched turtle in it for like a week. I've seen far too many turtles mistreated due to ignorance. Be sure to do a bit of research if you haven't already and don't always believe what they tell you at the store.

Also, what kind of turtle is it? This will dictate the type of enclosure, etc.

I've done alittle reading on them. They say a 40 gal should be a minimum size for a small turtle. And need to clean water often cause of dropped food and crap. Went to petland and was looking at red footed turtles? Said it'll get alittle bigger than a softball.

We've gotta figure out a good option for him. Ultimately I'll b the one having to clean the thing. So maybe a land turtle would b better.

I've done alittle reading on them. They say a 40 gal should be a minimum size for a small turtle. And need to clean water often cause of dropped food and crap. Went to petland and was looking at red footed turtles? Said it'll get alittle bigger than a softball.

We've gotta figure out a good option for him. Ultimately I'll b the one having to clean the thing. So maybe a land turtle would b better.

A red eared slider or a redfoot tortoise? A red ear slider is semi aquatic, and if it ends a being a female the shell alone will get bigger than 10". You're looking at a 90+ gallon aquarium in three to four years.

A redfoot tortoise depending on the origin can get fairly large as well. As an adult an appropriate minimum enclosure would be 3' x 6'.

Also keep in mind these aren't like dogs or cats and they are still going to be around long after your kid graduates high school, college, etc.

If you are absolutely dead set on getting an aquatic turtle look into southern painted turtles, stinkpots, and musks. They all stay relatively small and could permanently live in a 55 gallon or 40 gallon breeder. If you are looking into tortoises I would recommend a single male Russian tortoise. He would be okay in a tank with a footprint of 75 gallon, but I'd recommend just building your own enclosure.

Also check out http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/index.php?act=idx for good information on turtles.

If you would like to start out with a hatchling, or a juvenile for a better price the monthly reptile show is next Saturday at Moose Lodge on the west side. Here's the link for that http://www.allohioshows.com/

I started keeping reptiles a few years older than your son and have ever since. I made my fair of mistakes when I was younger that could have been avoided if I or my father were given correct information. If you and your son are interested in seeing any of my turtles and setups I would be glad to show you.

Unfortunately you just missed some great sales for aquariums at a few stores last week and I just got rid of all most of my spare aquariums.