Gas Fire Pit

NWill

I was bored Sunday so I decided to convert a regular fire pit to propane..

IMG_1819 by TheTreeHouse1, on Flickr[/img]

IMG_1824 by TheTreeHouse1, on Flickr[/img]

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/6811216552_71a970d1fc.jpg' alt='6811216552_71a970d1fc.jpg'>

IMG_1823 by TheTreeHouse1, on Flickr[/img]

I threw away all my receipts but I think I spent around $170 including the fire pit and a new LP tank. You could save over $100 if you have these already available. It's an easy ~2 hour project

No clue yet, but your average grill regulator goes to ~5-10psi...mine goes to 60psi :fuckyeah: The knob on the tank was open about 1/4 turn for the photos above. I turned it to about 3/4 turn the the flame was ~3ft high. Keep in mind the regulator was set fairly low...

Edit: According to the Moore County Boy Scouts of North Carolina...

"The average full-size gas grill goes through about 1 pound of propane for every 30 minutes of cooking time. But how many of us cook with a stopwatch? There are a few simple ways of determining how much propane is left in the tank.

A normal-size 20-pound capacity tank weighs 17 to 18 pounds empty, and 34 to 35 pounds after being filled. To determine how much gas is left, weigh the tank and subtract 18 pounds for the tank; multiply this number by 30 to determine approximately how many minutes of grilling time are left.

(weigh the tank -- 18 * 30 = minutes of grilling time are left)

Pour hot water over a section of your o o tank, then run your hand up and down ii' the side. The part of the tank that turns warm is empty; the part that feels cool is full. You can get an idea of how much propane is left based on this."

Obviously a fire pit will burn more propane but I found this info interesting.

These are cool they did one on the DIY network you could probably find on their website. Do you notice is there that propane smell?

Didn't notice any smell. Just smells like fire I guess? I plan on pressure testing it. I don't want propane pooling up under the pit...

Soo... Has anyone had experience with lava rock and high heat? I have been sitting out here for about 30 minutes and one of the larger rocks apparently had a large air bubble in it and exploded... and by exploded I mean it went about 12 inches out of the pit.. None the less, enough to make me concerned. I put the top grate thing on it afterwards as a guard and haven't had anything else "pop" for the last two.

Besides that incident....anybody that knows what they're talking about think I should fill the pit with sand under the rocks? I'm concerned about the direct heat melting the solder. My thought is that sand filled up above the fire ring will keep the fittings/solder cooler than if they were exposed to direct heat.

Cliffs.. I've been drinking by it for 3 hours...One explosion AKA a rock jumping a foot......should I fill with sand to just above the "fire ring" to disperse the heat away from the solder?

P.S. Don't let GF's buy rum...Kraken is garbage

• 2 weeks later...
How long does a tank last? I've got a fire pit....and a spare tank. Just not sure if it's worth the cost.

Not to bring this back up but..nm. Just finished off the first tank. It burnt for ~10 hours at a moderate flame. Considering the amount of alcohol most consume around a fire pit I don't consider $2/hr too bad!