Either of these mowers worth a damn?

Browning

Only thing about the craftsman I dislike is you need tools to adjust cutting height. Thing I dislike about the troybilt is the turning radius. Overall I think the TB is best for me.

Asked on another forum and every one was saying just by used because of these two having the stamped steel front end. Problems with buying used is no warranty and who knows how long some one elses mower will last here, and that I lack a truck to haul it home. This really shouldn't be this hard of a decision but I've never bought a mower before. lol

I'll be mowing around 5 acres once a week or so and behind the house is a hill I have to lean pretty good on.

I would get a John Deere for a little bit more. I picked up a LA115 last year and it has been great. It only has a 42" deck, but they show a 22HP one that has a 48" deck that could really save you a few passes after 5 acres. Just remember to stop buy the post office for a moving pack to save 10% on 5,000.00. ;) I did that while doing the free cart and 1year and had to have managers override matching an online deal lowes had on the morse rd store cleaning them out.

i bought a zero turn troy bilt from lowes a couple years ago and that thing felt extremely cheap and shaky, i ended up returning it because it was not giving me a good cut and the front tires kept going flat. when cutting it would leave a center strip of grass that was uncut, i dont know if it was built improperly or what but it always felt like it was going to fall apart on me.

garden tractors loose their value very fast, so i would say buy a used one to.

I would get a John Deere for a little bit more. I picked up a LA115 last year and it has been great. It only has a 42" deck, but they show a 22HP one that has a 48" deck that could really save you a few passes after 5 acres. Just remember to stop buy the post office for a moving pack to save 10% on 5,000.00. ;) I did that while doing the free cart and 1year and had to have managers override matching an online deal lowes had on the morse rd store cleaning them out.

Um, what?

JD's are more than I want to pay

JD's are more than I want to pay
That is why I said use the 10% off coupon in the moving packet to help bring down the cost. My 42" could do five acres, but I think you are on the right track doing 46" a 48" to save a few passes with that much land. Good luck!

OMG you will really enjoy the 10% savings on big items. It is a little paper coupon that says saves 10% off at lowes, but it also works at homedepot too. If you want wait for the 18 months from lowes to come out again.

Just want to add that I've had my Craftsman, very similar to this one here, with the B&S engine and it's been top notch. Nothing but oil and belt changes. Bought it in 2003, my first Spring here, and it's got 300+ hours with no issues at all. I love the thing. :nod:

On the other hand, my neighbor has a Husqvarna with the Kohler engine and has had a few problems in just the two years he's had it. I won't buy anything with that engine after seeing how my mower has been, and how his has been. :(

In my experience you're much better off buying an older but higher-quality tractor like a JD for $3-$500 than a newer cheaper mower. Especially if you're doing 5 acres weekly, you'll wear out a cheapie in now time.

there's no way I'll find a 46" JD worth a damn or under 500 lol

You sure? I got a JD 116 for $350 off CL last year. There were a few of them in that price range when i was looking. Look harder, there are deals out there.

You could check with JD dealers that take things in on trades vs buying a cheaper setup. I wished I would of thought of that now, but you are right you will not find something under 500 worth keeping. They don't ask you anything about moving. I've been using that coupon for 2 years with no one talking. If someone does say something it will just be BSing with you to make the day go buy quicker. Good luck!

You sure? I got a JD 116 for $350 off CL last year. There were a few of them in that price range when i was looking. Look harder, there are deals out there.
I've found some for around 800-1200 that fit the bill but I went ahead and went new.

You could check with JD dealers that take things in on trades vs buying a cheaper setup. I wished I would of thought of that now, but you are right you will not find something under 500 worth keeping. They don't ask you anything about moving. I've been using that coupon for 2 years with no one talking. If someone does say something it will just be BSing with you to make the day go buy quicker. Good luck!

Hey man thanks a bunch for letting me know about that coupon. I decided to go with something different. Found two 48" ones I liked a lot, a JD for $2000 and a Husqvarna for $1900. After about 30 minutes of jumping back and forth I decided I liked the feel of the Husqvarna more than the JD. Got it, couple sheets of plywood and a shed. No questions were asked about the coupon.

This is the one I got

http://www.lowes.com/pd_372785-63311-YTH24K48FR_4294747190_4294937087_?productId=3606296&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Riding%2BMowers%2BTractors_4294747190_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Sucks they can't deliver it until Sunday morning lol