Scion FR-S...about $5k too expensive

zeitgeist57

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason why it evokes such a negative reaction is because it takes the comfortable and easily quantifiable philosophy of "Bigger with More Power is better" and tosses it out the window. "Power" and "Fun" are not synonymous with this car and that confuses people.

That certainlt isnt why i dislike it.

Not that it matters, it could be perfect, and i wouldnt fit in it.

Supposedly we are getting the Scion and Japan is getting the FT-86. Similar to how we got the SC300 and Japan got the Soarer. Also read that the body lines for the Scion have been changed slightly from the FT-86 to make it more appealing to the younger generation.

They always seem to end up getting the better half, most of the time that is.

They always seem to end up getting the better half, most of the time that is.

It comes down to options, but really the difference between the GT-86 and FR-S is some badges and mandated safety equipment.

the scion version was suppose to be a detuned version of the subaru as far as suspension not sure if power was the same.

It's tuned differently, suspension-wise. The Subaru gets a bit more understeer at corner entry whereas the FR-S is supposed to be a bit more neutral. The end result is looking like, with good tires, the Subaru will be more stable and grippy in the turns, and the FR-S will be more drift oriented.

But the difference is in the springs and struts. So any aftermarket springs/dampers will eliminate the differences in handling between the cars. So the issue is pretty moot.

It comes down to options, but really the difference between the GT-86 and FR-S is some badges and mandated safety equipment.

It's tuned differently, suspension-wise. The Subaru gets a bit more understeer at corner entry whereas the FR-S is supposed to be a bit more neutral. The end result is looking like, with good tires, the Subaru will be more stable and grippy in the turns, and the FR-S will be more drift oriented.

But the difference is in the springs and struts. So any aftermarket springs/dampers will eliminate the differences in handling between the cars. So the issue is pretty moot.

how does one drift if one cannot break the tires loose?

how does one drift if one cannot break the tires loose?

Many different ways. The AE86 has less than 100 RWHP from the factory and plenty of people know how to work it. Mine had 58 RWHP and I did just fine with it. I've driven plenty of cars, but they are by far the funnest.

Scion/Toyota rep Detroit NA Auto Show said this car is the replacement for the Supra. Couldn't help but laugh in his face.

I asked at the Subaru stand (in Detroit) when they're coming out with a turbo edition with a hint of power. The guy at the Subaru stand said "it doesn't need to be fast, it can handle" . I said I didn't realize they were mutually exclusive

I asked at the Subaru stand (in Detroit) when they're coming out with a turbo edition with a hint of power. The guy at the Subaru stand said "it doesn't need to be fast, it can handle" . I said I didn't realize they were mutually exclusive

Learning how to drive fast and lots of horsepower are mutually exclusive, though.

I dunno but it sure is ugly. I like it cause it's turbo, hate it cause it's ugly. Most people don't care if it's turbo or not, so I bet people would go with the Z instead.

Turbo are you high?

there's no turbo