Scion FR-S...about $5k too expensive

zeitgeist57

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Jesse it should be @19k and 23k with a turbo making say 250 hp and 200 ft lbs. If they did that it would be a perfect car.

That wasn't what I was trying to saying, sorry if it came across that way. I was saying $19k doesn't buy a whole lot for a new car; an econobox with a few upgrades. IDK how much I think this should cost, but I think $19k would be too low.

That wasn't what I was trying to saying, sorry if it came across that way. I was saying $19k doesn't buy a whole lot for a new car; an econobox with a few upgrades. IDK how much I think this should cost, but I think $19k would be too low.

IIRC that was their original price point. RWD, 200 HP, 2800 lbs or less for under 20k.

Really wish the Toyota FT-86 would just be released instead this thing is garbage.

Supposedly we are getting the Scion and Japan is getting the FT-86. Similar to how we got the SC300 and Japan got the Soarer. Also read that the body lines for the Scion have been changed slightly from the FT-86 to make it more appealing to the younger generation.

:gabe:

Edited by acklac7

For what that car will do, I don't think 25k is to bad. Although I've been reading up on chevy's competitor the code 130r, they are saying sub 20k for a 150 hp base model, a little over 20 for a 200 hp 2.5L or around 25k for a 270 hp turbo model

yeah but the chevy is a chevy, I agree it should be around $20k. Since it is the detuned model of the Subaru, what will the subaru cost? I would buy the Subaru version if it was around 350hp, everyone would love this car.

Still miss my STI ( tear )

Supposedly we are getting the Scion and Japan is getting the FT-86. Similar to how we got the SC300 and Japan got the Soarer. Also read that the body lines for the Scion have been changed slightly from the FT-86 to make it more appealing to the younger generation.

Nothing is changed besides small things like badges and maybe wheel options between the FT-86 and the FRS... same exact car otherwise.

The price is on par with what it should be. Haters just want another reason to be butt hurt about this car. Personally, I don't see what evokes so many negative emotions from people about the car.

Exactly... people just WANT to hate it and I'm not sure why. It's going to be a great base for a cheap, really competitive and fun car. A car like this is a big move for any automaker because this goes against the grain for most sports cars, but it's definitely in the right direction if you ask me.

And tripple. :D

IIRC that was their original price point. RWD, 200 HP, 2800 lbs or less for under 20k.

I don't remember if it was announced in 2007 or 2008, but being conservative, 20K in 2008 dollars is a hair under 22K in 2012 bucks. So 2.5K over target for a car is not that bad.

For what that car will do, I don't think 25k is to bad. Although I've been reading up on chevy's competitor the code 130r, they are saying sub 20k for a 150 hp base model, a little over 20 for a 200 hp 2.5L or around 25k for a 270 hp turbo model

I doubt the 130r will have the low CG or low polar moment of inertia that the BRZ will have. I also wonder if they'll be able to keep the weight down.

What can it do? Nothing has been shown/proven besides drifting...

It is on Prius summer tires. Looking at the numbers, I think, like a Miata, it will prove to be a fantastically capable car in the corners. Every review has been very positive about the car's handling and it's feedback to the driver. It's been pretty much universally called a very *fun* car to drive, which was the goal from day 1.

Last gen MR2 was RWD AND mid engine. Didn't that turn out to be a big fail?

You mean the MR-Shitty?

You forget, they didn't put an "AE86" reference on the MR-S, therefore fanboi marketing failed.

They have the initial D homos lined up around the block before they even exist for this one.

The MR2-Spyder actually stickered higher than the Scion. As far as sales, not many were made or intended to be made. The car itself was very very fun to drive and performed great at the track. I had one and it was one of the best cars I've ever owned.

I think the reason why it evokes such a negative reaction is because it takes the comfortable and easily quantifiable philosophy of "Bigger with More Power is better" and tosses it out the window. "Power" and "Fun" are not synonymous with this car and that confuses people.

$23-$24k is not unreasonable for a moderate performance car. Comparing used cars that have been romped on and have no warranty is a ridiculous comparison, especially considering that 99% of the brokedicks on CR can't pay cash for a $24k car and would be financing where there is also a huge difference between a 2-3 year old car and a brand new one.

That said, I hope dealers don't get in the habit of putting an extra $1000 or 3 on top of MSRP.

EDIT: LOL at talking about drag coefficient on a street car that will average under 100mph

$23-$24k is not unreasonable for a moderate performance car. Comparing used cars that have been romped on and have no warranty is a ridiculous comparison, especially considering that 99% of the brokedicks on CR can't pay cash for a $24k car and would be financing where there is also a huge difference between a 2-3 year old car and a brand new one.

That said, I hope dealers don't get in the habit of putting an extra $1000 or 3 on top of MSRP.

EDIT: LOL at talking about drag coefficient on a street car that will average under 100mph

Que the king of hipster fun to drive marketing, aka Failot 500. :fa:

Wanna hear the best part about the MR-S... it wasn't even sold as a sports car, which is why it was such fail.

Even though it was fun, it was still an economy two seater with a sporty configuration. It was an ULEV and economy based vehicle, and Toyota had no intention of making it something off the wall or special. Join the spyder forums and just about every owner will agree with that statement... it's when you add a 2ZZ that the car really becomes something worth mentioning.

CG not CD

I think it's CD is a little below average, but the small size makes for a lower frontal area. Ultimately, you're right, CD comparisons on street cars is pretty pointless.