Gas line question

Twistedrx7

Looking to install a gas line for a cooktop and the manual says 3/4" rigid for the run. Now is that equal to 1/2" csst or would it be 3/4" csst. The line coming into the house is only a 1/2" and goes to 3/8 to the water heater and furnace(short runs).

right before the lines all branch off for the furnace, fireplace, hot water heater the regulator is 8" WC. I would have a regulator on the stovetop as well. Will it hurt anything to run the 3/4" csst or should i grab some 1/2"? details below

2 burners at 10k btu + 2 burners at 6k btu = 32k btu =32cfm for a 20 foot run. However on the same Tees there is as mentioned above fireplace, hot water heater, and furnace.

Edited by Twistedrx7

I highly doubt you have 3/8 lines to either your furnace or water heater. What you think is 3/8 really is what is called 1/2 NPT. That's pending this is all hard pipes, I'm not sure what CSST is, but I do HVAC and run gas piping all The time and I've never installed anything smaller than 1/2" on any furnace or hot water heater I've ever installed in about 16 years.

I'd say use 1/2" and you be more than fine for any normal cooktop.

Corrugated stainless steel tubing. Are you sure you have enough wc supplied to run everything at once? Have you caled the 800# on the box to see why they are suggesting 3/4" run? Maybe they are figuring its a new code thing accepted trade wide or that may be what the figure will supply the location used based on the longest length method. I would first call the supplier and then calculate my usage for everything runnig at once to see if in fact I have enough coming in.

I did some quick

research...didn't realize you were talking about flexible gas line but I figured. I've used this stuff in the past too, and I wouldn't over engineer this too much to add a simple cooktop. Most houses have adequate piping and flow to take care of simple additions and typical installed items. However, if you want to get all technical, use the following PDF and read from page 14( of the actual manual) to determine sizing. This is for gastite brand but should work close enough for you no matter the brand you choose.

http://www.nhlgc.org/affiliate/nhboa/pdf_documents/Gastite_Installation_Instructions.pdf