CR Review: 2006 Maxda RX-8 GT

zeitgeist57

Look, gais...I have a car-a-holic problem. I can't help myself. Over lunch today, I saw this baby at CarMax and knew I had to drive it. It had been since 2004 when I first test-drove an RX-8. It didn't make sense at $33k...does it make sense now?

http://carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=0&id=8213637&D=50&ASTc=rx 8&zip=43235&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=966+398+9&Q=20b2ba96-5474-4b21-a6f4-9cb0281aedd0

DRIVING/HANDLING: For the money, there isn't a better handling car I've driven that still manages to seat 4 people. The thing is rock-solid and every turn feels solid and crisp. Suspension is firm, but relatively comfortable. It's truly telepathic: the slightest turn of the wheel - with nicely weighted steering feel - is commended by great control whether around town or on the highway. I fell in love with it all over again after a couple of miles.

PERFORMANCE: Below 6k, the rotary engine has no torque. It's still smooth as silk, gets above-average around-town acceleration, and makes a great sound.......but it still has zero torque. On the highway, 6th gear is great. Engine is quiet (4k rpms at 80mph) but if you stomp on the pedal the car just laughs at you. Downshift to 5th? A little better. Now...shift an awkward "upside-down U" from 6th to 4th and peg it? Great sound, great acceleration, and a very rewarding experience. It's not going to spank everyone else on the highway in a race, but if traffic is poking around you unaware that THEY SUCK, you can quickly dispatch them with a snickety-snick downshift, rev-match blip of the throttle, and you're doing 85mph+ from a cruising speed of 70mph in no time. An 80s Porsche 911 saw me on the highway doing this, and decided to play. We were up to 90 in no time, and the RX-8 was hanging for half a minute. For the amount of racing I'll be doing (read: FKKING NEVER) this car was extremely pleasing to have fun with on the highway. I can only imagine what it does with an intake and possible exhaust system.

AURAL SEX: Seriously, I find the engine sound intoxicating. As I'm scooting around surface streets at 30-40mph, my ears say 6k rpm sweetness but the tach says 3200. It's a mental adjustment driving a rotary with a stick, but I guess the opposite can be said about diesels and sticks: keep the revs LOW for optimal performance. The Bose system was actually a little weaker than I thought, but I listen to NPR anyway so it doesn't matter.

FEATURES: For a 2006, the Grand Touring RX-8 has everything I want in a daily driver: heated leather seats, steering wheel controls, Bose stereo system, sunroof (if I can't get a convertible). The only thing I wish it had was Bluetooth, but '06 was just a little early for that. Oh yeah, it's got a pop-up navigation screen, but LOL to that piece of Atari electronics. I'll stick with my smart phone.

STYLING: In black, this thing is secksy. Any other color, and it's still good looking but some of the styling flaws show up, like door gaps, wierd side windows, etc. Great looking factory wheels, too. I'd be happy lowering it and being done with the appearance.

COMFORT: Great, supportive seats with really nice leather. Controls are all easily accessible. Tight cabin, reminded me of my C4 Corvette...and that's a good thing. I really liked being in the car. If another 6' guy rode in the backseat, I'd have to scoot the front seats forward, but kids should pose no problem. Tiny trunk; not the best long-weekend trip vehicle.

DOWNSIDE:

Car History - there were only two owners of this car, and the last one in 2011 owned it for 6 months, and put 6k miles on it...before it was REPO'd. Not a good sign of prior ownership, but I've also heard N/A rotaries like to be ridden hard and put away wet. This thing made clean cold-starts and ran like a champ. The interior was perfect and unmodded. Tint had some bubbles, but looked like good quality. The headlights were slightly foggy, and looked like CarMax buffed them. The door edges had some small paint chips, but no rust and could easily be touched up. Overall, the car looks like it was parked outside for the 6years and 32k miles of it's life. Looked very good, but could look better.

Reliability - Ahhhh, Renesis...what ARE you going to do?!? I've heard a well-maintained N/A rotary can last darn near forever, but the Renesis is still a little bit of an unknown. 2004s have a rep for popping, but would an '06 be better?

Fuel Economy - I know full well that rotaries don't get the best fuel economy, but driving this car around made me forget that. If I could get 20mpg in normal highway cruising, I'd be happy.

Overall, I still think that - with true room for 4 people - I could genuinely see myself driving this everyday. Light BPU mods, and a very enjoyable driving experience every day. Plus, with CarMax only offering fkking $1,700:lol: for my '00 Passat...at least I know I still have my old car as a winter vehicle! Plus, when the rotary pops or I get bored with it? LSx swap time!!!

I'm not buying it, but this will truly be the first time I go to my wife (since my Ford pickup) asking what she thinks. She'll say the same thing you all say: wait for a CTS-V. However, the RX-8 was still an absolute blast to drive, and still makes a decently compelling case for a fun and unique daily driver in the long run!

However, the RX-8 was still an absolute blast to drive, and still makes a decently compelling case for a fun and unique daily driver in the long run!

and this is why I drive a Miata. If I could afford to have a nice family life and a Vette I would, but I can't. I make the best with what I can.

If you like it that much maybe you should consider it, but if you can afford a CTS-V and love that car, well that would be your choice.

Perfect timing on doing a review for these cars. Thanks! For the last couple weeks I have been seriously looking at RX8's. I want another 6spd car to have fun with. And I kinda want to try something different. The lack of torque seems to be my biggest concern. I'm used to cars with a lot of torque. I need to go test drive one soon.

Perfect timing on doing a review for these cars. Thanks! For the last couple weeks I have been seriously looking at RX8's. I want another 6spd car to have fun with. And I kinda want to try something different. The lack of torque seems to be my biggest concern. I'm used to cars with a lot of torque. I need to go test drive one soon.

Like you guys need another car?

Overpriced IMO

Check it-from another forum

Ricky Nichols

304-813-2405

Morgantown, WV

Have a 2004 Mazda RX8 for sale.. just trying to break even on it.. I searched long and hard before I found a good one in my price range... I finally picked this up last November for my GF.. .Luck would have it we went our separate ways earlier this year and now this car is just chilling and I'm making payments and I have absolutely no use for it.

Anyways its an 04, GT bone stock fully loaded. Has Power Sunroof, 6 speed manual, Red/Black leather..18" Rock Star wheels w/ good tires. Clear title, Have a clean recent car-fax report as well. .. car starts and runs great... The only flaw I know of is the syncros are bad in 2nd if and will grind if you try to shift above 5K rpm from 1-2 ..

When I bought it it had a noisy alternator so I replaced it with a brand new one.. I've also changed the oil a couple times, that is all of the work I've had to do to it.

I need a good pulling truck for my trailer.. I'd be willing to trade for something of equivalent value.. Otherwise my price is $8500 obo .

Car starts right up, runs strong, and looks sharp as hell.. I just dont need it and do not want the payment/insurance since I'm not driving it.

I can send you any photo you may want to see..just let me know..

http://www.dsmlink.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43322&d=1331566626

Lol, 19 grand.

Review should read:

No torque, some horsepower, guzzles gas AND oil, fake triangle tailpipe, love-it-or-hate-it styling.

The triangle in the middle was never supposed to be a tailpipe.

:dumb: