CR Review: 2006 Maxda RX-8 GT

zeitgeist57

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr119/Yongchankim/111111.jpg

My buddy has an 06, he moved to Cali few years ago, bought brand new and it had 70k on it when he went to cali, still strong. I think he still has it with no problem..

It's got no tq if you are all about straight line, but enough to dd, it's very fun to auto x or track.

I convinced him to take it to the track and after doing some laps, I was impressed with the weight balance.

He did mazdaspeed lip kits, MS exhaust, after market intake, pulley, wheels. picked up a few power.

overall, fun car to drive, but not for 19k. how about a C5?

Clay, we test drove RX8s at the exact same time, only I bought mine. I agree, this thing is a blast to drive. I drove a 2005 Grand touring low miles too, fully loaded just no nav. Didn't bother me though, we've got it in the commander and I never use it, the phone is way better. This is my first 6-speed, which still throws me off, I always forget to go into 6th.

All I have to say is 19k is a ripoff, I paid 11k for mine in great condition.

I'll try to post pics soon, its the electric blue and looks great.

Jono

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr119/Yongchankim/111111.jpg

My buddy has an 06, he moved to Cali few years ago, bought brand new and it had 70k on it when he went to cali, still strong. I think he still has it with no problem..

It's got no tq if you are all about straight line, but enough to dd, it's very fun to auto x or track.

I convinced him to take it to the track and after doing some laps, I was impressed with the weight balance.

He did mazdaspeed lip kits, MS exhaust, after market intake, pulley, wheels. picked up a few power.

overall, fun car to drive, but not for 19k. how about a C5?

That picture is nothing without that C Pass.

Clay, we test drove RX8s at the exact same time, only I bought mine. I agree, this thing is a blast to drive. I drove a 2005 Grand touring low miles too, fully loaded just no nav. Didn't bother me though, we've got it in the commander and I never use it, the phone is way better. This is my first 6-speed, which still throws me off, I always forget to go into 6th.

All I have to say is 19k is a ripoff, I paid 11k for mine in great condition.

I'll try to post pics soon, its the electric blue and looks great.

Jono

Congrats, Jono!!!!

Actually, for less than 12k I would probably buy an RX-8.:fa::eek: WHere'd you find yours? Show pics soon!!!

What can I say? It's a truly unique and supremely fun-to-drive car!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-RX8-Grand-Touring-Immaculate-LOW-Low-Miles-Incredible-Buy-/170814047507?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27c54f8513#ht_16644wt_954

27k miles for $14,900...getting better on price...

Do your research on the proper ways to maintain your rotary and it will last a VERY long time.

blah blah blah blah

28+ years old. I beat the piss out of it, and am wondering if it will ever die.

I wouldn't buy an RX-8. Drove one, was thinking it was a cushier version of my RX-7 and heavier. Save your money and buy an FB/FC. I would only consider one if it was 3-5k.

Congrats, Jono!!!!

Actually, for less than 12k I would probably buy an RX-8.:fa::eek: WHere'd you find yours? Show pics soon!!!

I totally agree with you. I actually had the wife conviniced for a night, until she told me the mileage is too poor for a daily.

Patrick - You can't put a child seat in a FB or FC. There are very few cars that are fun to drive and reasonably priced with a real back seat for children. The RX8's are now in the $8-12k range, which makes them a bargain to me. I could swap an LSx and still be far cheaper than anything that compares. And FB's are ugly.

Clay, as much as I still have love for the rotary...if you want a cheap car that handles great, has a usable back seat, is a blast to drive, has a great sounding motor, and gets decent mileage you really need to look at an e36 M3.

Biggest piece of shit cars I have seen. My old roomate in my shop had one and it was trash. At 40k miles the motor had to be rebuilt/replaced, new motor is already puking stuff into the radiator (most likely the apex seals). They are heavy as fuck (close to 4k lbs) and did I mention the fact that it was an absolute turd, granted his is an automatic but still the slowest car I have driven and thats not bullshit.

http://img.deepgamers.com/1333244637.jpg

http://img.deepgamers.com/1333244676.jpg

I shopped around for a sport sedan that was in my price range, could fit car seats, manual, recent year with low miles, and there just wasn't much that could compare. I'm happy with it, car is awesome to drive

Plus the wife loves it, she wouldnt say the same a tuned up FB haha