? About polishing/wetsanding after clearcoat

Fubar231

So i tinted my side markers with VHT Nightshade and wetsanded inbetween each coat, and did several coats. After that ive been applying clear coat, wetsanding inbetween each coat. I applied the final coat of clear coat that im going to put on tonight, and had a question about wetsanding before polishing.

Should i wetsand the clear coat w/ 2k grit sandpaper before polishing, or leave it? Ive seen tutorials for tinting them with wetsanding the clear and without wet sanding the clear. I just want it to look as glossy and smooth as possible.

I will be polishing the clear coat with Meguiars Plast-X.

When i was lightly sanding inbetween each clear coats i noticed some spots on the light looked diff than others. Like some were a lighter grey while some of it was still black. Should i sand it down till its all even or just light sand and polish?

I've seen a lot of lens tinting write-ups instructing you to wetsand between each coat, which I never understood. Seems like a waste of time IMO. Like Rocky, I just wetsand at the end after the last coat of clear and the end result always looks good

I had to wetsand inbetween each coat because i would get little specs of dust and other shit in it thats just floating around in the air, so i had to wait for it to cure and sand it smooth everytime. Tinting marker lights shouldnt take 4-5 days lol

That dust in the base coats will sand out with the final wet sand. You do NOT need to sand between coats. What a way to make a short job very long with no better results.

BTW, I tint lights weekly almost for people...and IMO, the first mistake you made was using nightshades, that stuff is garbage.

Well you got lucky sport. They look good

Thanks man, ill try and get a better pic of one of them outside in the light some time. I mean i hope they would look good i spent a good amount of time on them, not that i wanted too, but i would get little bits of dust or other bullshit floating around in my garage in the vht/clear when i sprayed so i'd have to wait for it to cure, wetsand, and repeat. It was an extremely long process just for painting/clearing something.