OSX Trojan - Does this hurt Apple's Image?

kshymkiw83

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/over-600000-macs-infected-with-flashback-trojan/11345

Simply put, over 600,000 MAC's are/were infected with a Trojan that made use of a Java exploit in OSX. It took Apple 2 Months to release a patch for Java, to prevent this.

Does this hurt Apples Image as a "safe" computing device?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/over-600000-macs-infected-with-flashback-trojan/11345

Simply put, over 600,000 MAC's are/were infected with a Trojan that made use of a Java exploit in OSX. It took Apple 2 Months to release a patch for Java, to prevent this.

Does this hurt Apples Image as a "safe" computing device?

They aren't any safer than any other computing system. They basically enjoy, "security by obscurity" which is really no security at all. As time goes on and OSX gains more market share as an OS, more and more exploits and vulnerabilities will occur.

Marketing that they employ at their stores is heinous. I overheard a salesman tell an elderly couple, "Actually, since its an Apple, you can't get viruses on it". The DOJ should be alerted of that because that is just a flat out lie.

Apple LOL. Our family mac got some evil malware way back in the days of 14.4 and AOL. This is nothing new. Luckily people are too damn stupid to actually research, and just believe BS marketing crap instead. You can sell an apple just like selling an obama.

They aren't any safer than any other computing system. They basically enjoy, "security by obscurity" which is really no security at all. As time goes on and OSX gains more market share as an OS, more and more exploits and vulnerabilities will occur.

Marketing that they employ at their stores is heinous. I overheard a salesman tell an elderly couple, "Actually, since its an Apple, you can't get viruses on it". The DOJ should be alerted of that because that is just a flat out lie.

I agree with you. But is this a mainstream enough issue to alert your average user of an OSX product?

I heard this on the local news, that is the only way I heard it.

I agree with you. But is this a mainstream enough issue to alert your average user of an OSX product?

I heard this on the local news, that is the only way I heard it.

Simply put, 2 months to patch a zero day, yes, that is way too long.

Is 600,000 machines enough to make a huge deal? Probably not. Its estimated that 3-4 million systems are still infected with conficker. You don't hear anyone talking about that.

Simply put, 2 months to patch a zero day, yes, that is way too long.

Is 600,000 machines enough to make a huge deal? Probably not. Its estimated that 3-4 million systems are still infected with conficker. You don't hear anyone talking about that.

Very true. Do we all think this will be a more common thing as MAC's take a larger share of the marketplace?

Unfortunately I don't think it will. People will keep buying Apple no matter what. Mac people are a good target though, they're about as techno retarded as it gets. The Apple store is about to make some $$$$ on people bringing their shit in to get fixed. Conspiracy?

Unfortunately I don't think it will. People will keep buying Apple no matter what. Mac people are a good target though, they're about as techno retarded as it gets. The Apple store is about to make some $$$$ on people bringing their shit in to get fixed. Conspiracy?

Apple just released online patches, and I am assuming most Appletards have auto updates setup to just go.

Don't know how many people would need to take their Mac in for a simple patch to be applied to Java.

I bought a macbook pro about a month ago and I absolutely LOVE it. I have many Windows based machines as well but I prefer to use the mac over them now. Im on it now and love it. People will always buy them and I dont think this will hurt their image at all

Won't hurt Apple in the long run as they've already removed Java from future OSX installations: Java is the achilles heel of OSX, remove it.

Also the architecture of OSX and Windows are vastly different. There are so many ways to exploit a PC it's not even funny. Yes Macs can be compromised, however it takes some effort. With windows (even ones with top notch anti virus's) it's cake.

Read up on RAT'S (zeuS, cerberuS), file-binding, crypted/polymorphic code and drive-by-download's, then make the decision for yourself.

Ive seen some new rootkits that rewrite the MBR, which can be reset usually. But now they are fucking them up so bad that it requires a restore, no ifs ands or buts about it

Say what you will about Windows, but MS's approach, process, and speed to virus squashing is 2nd to none. Apple has been hiding behind small market share. Still are, worldwide, where they're still a gnat on a moose's ass, but that'll change as Russians, Chinese and Ethiopians et al learn how many hipster retards with loose cash to waste on shiny shiny own Macs...

Macs are safer by design but they are still suspetible to attack . A good example of this would be OSX86. People have totally circumvented apples primary security. done.

If Apple can't authenticate / secure to there own hardware they are no more secure than any other OS. a true trusted Operating system is something like SElinux using a TPM.

Say what you will about Windows, but MS's approach, process, and speed to virus squashing is 2nd to none.

zeuS has been out there for years and they still can't figure out how to stop it, or even detect it for that matter. Hence why Microsoft started seizing domain names and conducting physical raids on botnet servers. I mean it's pretty bad when a software company has to seize equipment in a last ditch effort to address a virus issue.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/microsoft-takes-down-dozens-of-zeus-spyeye-botnets/

Macs are safer by design but they are still suspetible to attack . A good example of this would be OSX86. People have totally circumvented apples primary security. done.

If Apple can't authenticate / secure to there own hardware they are no more secure than any other OS. a true trusted Operating system is something like SElinux using a TPM.

this

the difference between MacOS and MSFT is Apple did finally publish a fix and not only does it fix the problem but if you are infected, it fixes that too. MSFT doesn't care if you get infected, they don't see it as a problem.