Clutch upgrade

gbracing81

So I'm looking to upgrade my stock clutch to something with a lot more holding power. Perhaps in the 500 CHP range. I was flipping through the jegs book and was looking at the twin disc set ups, more specifically the McCleod street twin disc. I will still be driving the car daily so there are a few concerns I have. Basically I don't want it to wear out in a year and I can not stand chattering. My question is this, has anyone here ran this clutch? If so, what was it like. IDC about a stiff pedal so long as its not super duper stiff? I'm open to all opinions about this clutch and even single disc type's.

Assuming you're talking about your T/A, why not run an LS7 clutch? Good for 500hp, very streetable, and issue free. A good friend had a RAM dual disk and I thought it sucked, fitment was a pain, clutch pedal was stiff and annoying, and it didn't last very long.

I would have bet good money that Scott would be the first to comment. Lol. That's all good info and what I want to hear. I don't know much about the LS7 stuff and didn't realize I could use one.. Definetly something I will look into more. Thank you Scott.

I would have bet good money that Scott would be the first to comment. Lol. That's all good info and what I want to hear. I don't know much about the LS7 stuff and didn't realize I could use one.. Definetly something I will look into more. Thank you Scott.

No big deal I like talking. and same friend that had the RAM dual disk now has an LS7 clutch.

Stay far away from ram clutches for LSx. I broke three pressure plates from them they are junk. As stated above shitty pedal/engagement etc.

Save your pennies and get the McLeod twin rdx.

Ls7 is also a good option, and a little cheaper.

Just the experience I had with my z when I made~ high 500 thru a 9 inch on spray. All it did was destroy ram clutches. Lol

I spoke to the guy at Barton shifters while upgrading my clutch in my 2011 GT/CS, he went Mccleod twin disc. It didn't make one pass before it had serious failure. They replaced it for him no charge, but it was to late he went with Exedy. I already had Exedy picked before I heard that, I was glad I choose Exedy, with a Exedy racing flywheel.

It's best to get a brand new flywheel, if your getting a a brand new made for racing clutch. I know it is a choice, but you will know that the run-out is good, but still check. Keep your old one and have it resurfaced as a back-up and store it in a medium coat of grease.

Where you able to use all you stock hydraulics?

Yes all the stock hydrolics work fine. I'm not positive on the flywheel, but I thought it was the same, typically guys just order the whole clutch package from Scoggin-Dickey.

I spoke to the guy at Barton shifters while upgrading my clutch in my 2011 GT/CS, he went Mccleod twin disc. It didn't make one pass before it had serious failure. They replaced it for him no charge, but it was to late he went with Exedy. I already had Exedy picked before I heard that, I was glad I choose Exedy, with a Exedy racing flywheel.

It's best to get a brand new flywheel, if your getting a a brand new made for racing clutch. I know it is a choice, but you will know that the run-out is good, but still check. Keep your old one and have it resurfaced as a back-up and store it in a medium coat of grease.

My Mcelod twin works perfectly

My Mcelod twin works perfectly

That's just what he told me, my Exedy is solid, but I will test it properly. I made well into 150+ passes on the stock clutch with 5k dumps most of last year on a drag radial. I will see how good the Exedy holds up, that's for sure.

Was for my 92, I need something street able and able to hold a good amount of power

I had choose Exedy, before I spoke to him. I had to call him and get a new shift ball something came lose in mine and rattled so know I have a black one instead of white and we got to talking about the cars and I was in the middle of a clutch install, so he was telling me about his trip to the track with the McLeod

Tick master is worth every bit. It's expensive but really better than modifying the stock master to make it work and put an adjustable end piece on it. As for the slave, I always had great luck with smyth parts plus. I picked up an external slave for my Evo from there(not they're house brand) but it was like $30 and warranty, works excellent.

IMO every time you pull the trans on your f body, replace the slave. Saves time/cheap insurance, and if you have a smyth brand one they replace it user warranty. Just my first hand experiences I've had with my camaro and my three friends that had camaros that I did the clutches/hydraulics on.

Btw these are very easy to pull trans/replace clutches on yourself. Even if you do it in your garage. Not the ideal place but can be done on 4 jack stands, impacts and some sockets :)