Someone school me on T5s plz

IWannaGoFast

I am new to the Ford world. I know there are at least 3 types of T5 ford trannys, World Class, Borg warner, and borg warner/ tremec. Is one necessarily better than the other? I also know they came in a variety of vehicles, are there some you really want and some that should be avoided due to reliability or gearing?

As some of you know I am building a Monster Miata, I have my mild 302 and the 8.8 IRS but I still need a T5. I just know absolutely nothing about them and I searched through the forum but pretty much all the posts are about T56s or troubleshooting. Can Someone school me? I see them for sale from $100-$700 and don't know what I should aim for. There is currently one for $120 out of a Ranger near my Grandparents, but I was unsure if the gearing would suck.

I would expect you to pay at least double for a t-56. Easily a $1k+ transmission when you find them, whereas T5s are everywhere for not a whole lot of money. Don't know how much added expense there would be to make a t56 work for you, but I loved the one I had.

Just hard to justify, the car is almost done and I'm at less than $2500 including the car. It would be $1000+ and then a custom bell housing and custom driveshaft... Plus MPGs should be alright considering the final product will be probably 1000lbs lighter than anything a 5.0 has powered from the factory... BUT if someone wants to contribute a T56 to help the cause I am down lol

If your budget allows it look for an older Tremec 3550. Still 10 spline in and you can use a stock drive shaft but WAY better than any production T5. They go fow around 700 to 1000 used and in decent shape. If you absolutely cant flip that bill than a Z spec T5 would be your best bet, the others are going to be 50/50 on if they last.

At over $4 a gallon, the T56 would eventually pay for itself. I love having mine.

The T-56 in my Cobra has the same 6th gear ratio as the 5th gear in 5 speed cars. Not helping me at all :( My friend has one of the Magnum T-56's in his car and it only revs at around 1800 in 6th at 80. Mine is around 2300 or so.

I am learning more and more. I just have simple mods so not a ton of power, plus the car is almost 1000lbs lighter than anything a 302 came in so that's less strain on it too... I am looking 300ish hp plus the occasional 75-100 shot

I am learning more and more. I just have simple mods so not a ton of power, plus the car is almost 1000lbs lighter than anything a 302 came in so that's less strain on it too... I am looking 300ish hp plus the occasional 75-100 shot

3ooHP plus a 100 shot is gonna be have bunch of torque with it. I think you're gonna break a stock T5. Just my opinion sir.