Home Theater system issue

BloodRed

Since some of you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on home theater systems, I figured I would post up an issue I have been having with mine. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Sony STR-DH720 receive that I recently picked up. Everyonce in a while, all of a sudden I will loose all picture and audio and get just a black screen. It will flicker on and off for maybe 5 minutes, then it suddenly act normal. This not only happens when I am watching cable, but also when I am on my PS3. I have both my cable box and PS3 hooked up via HDMI to the receiver and then just one HDMI back into the tv.

I have tried changing HDMI cables and still get the same issue. If I hook the cable box or PS3 directly to the TV, no issue, so the issue has to be the receiver.

Before I deal with returning the receiver, thought I would check to see if it was something I should try. Thanks.

Try unplugging the PS3 from the receiver, connect the cable via HDMI and use two new HDMI cables. If it still occurs, try a different HDMI port on the TV, then try a different one on the receiver. Check the ground and plugs on the power for all the items too. I had a bad/poor ground in an outlet in our family room and it caused sound issues. Once I replaced the outlet, it was fine.

Report back.