Boost issue... New MBC problem

Diamonds

Well,

I just installed a new Grimmspeed Manual boost controller on my s14 240sx (Redtop SR20)

Backstory; Prior to tonight i had removed the old hallman MBC in efforts to trace down a Fuel pressure issue. Fixed the fuel pressure issue while the internal T28 wastegate was linked directly to the 50mm tial BOV and it was getting a dead-nuts factory 8 PSI (factory waste gate setting)

Tonight I put the new MBC inline and loosen it so that the boost controller is all the way "undone" and now the car is boosting to like 20 LBS of boost when i test drove it. my thought is that with the boost controller all the way loosened i should be right at 8psi... no?

Things i noticed.....

the vac line going from the wastegate to the MBC is "split" into one of the vac fittings on the intake throttle body..... could this be the problem? if so. how come it didn't affect it with just the wastegate & 8psi scenario.

HELP

You should have direct lines but it shouldn't be that much!!

I bet you hooked it up backwards. Its an easy mistake to make. Ive seen lots of cars who report similar issues and thats all it is.

Well, it has to be the "middleman" from the Wastegate to the BOV....

But, are you saying to not "T" it into the line going from BOV to intake manifold?

heres what it looks liek currently.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/319832_10100764744048824_23307162_51722905_1463275788_n.jpg

Edit. I read the diagram wrong. carry on.

well, i did see diagrams on a google search that looked like it were reversed.

to clarify..... the wastegate should be what pushes the ball/spring correct? not the bov..

and to David.... it is actually a legit brand. Not a DIY piece.

check it....

http://www.punishment-racing.com/product_images/s/511/grimmspeed_boost_controller__89666_zoom.jpg

See.... here is where i am confused....

If this is correct... then i have it backwards.....

http://www.tamparacing.com/photopost/data/500/medium/SBR-controller-cheat.jpg

If this is correct.... then i am not even close to correct...AND, where does the BOV come into play?

http://i21.ebayimg.com/07/s/000/77/47/c83d_1.JPG

Another vote for it being installed backwards.

The ball-side fitting should run to a dedicated manifold pressure source (or as close to a dedicated source as possible). That way, when the manifold is pressurized, the pressure runs down the line, presses the ball up and compresses the spring, and allows the pressure to reach the wastegate/wastegate actuator so it can regulate the pressure.

If it's run backwards, the manifold pressure will never reach the wastegate, and an overboost situation will occur.

Hope this helps.

Hopefully someone with more experience than me can chime in on this, but I will explain what I know, hopefully it helps.

There are two different ways to set up the MBC, mine is set up like the second one, or last diagram you posted.

Either way works, if you don't "t" it off and run it to the BOV then you will need to run a vacuum line from the BOV to the intake/TB... Not exactly sure where mine runs on the Evo at the moment. I will look in morning and maybe post pics of how it's set up.

Search on the advantages/disadvantages of either way to set it up.

But as stated if you can't get this to work, try getting pressure source from the turbo and do the set up from the last diagram (like how mine is set up)

Another vote for it being installed backwards.

The ball-side fitting should run to a dedicated manifold pressure source (or as close to a dedicated source as possible). That way, when the manifold is pressurized, the pressure runs down the line, presses the ball up and compresses the spring, and allows the pressure to reach the wastegate/wastegate actuator so it can regulate the pressure.

If it's run backwards, the manifold pressure will never reach the wastegate, and an overboost situation will occur.

Hope this helps.

This.