FD on craigslist

copperhead

Price is good, over all. And worth it, even with what I post below.

Concerns:

Stock twins and 15lbs of boost. They don't last long as it is. How long has the car been run at that level. Expect to replace turbos. Not a huge deal, I have swapped stock twins in 45 minutes.

What is regulating the boost? I see no MBC or EBC, or any lines for them. Maybe it's a very clean install. Engine bay dose look well cared for, except for the smashed intake filters.

"Exhaust with 6 inch pipe sounds awesome". What the hell would you run a 6" pipe on a stock set up for? So it sounds awesome? This might be the first thing I take off the car, after putting the stock wheels back on and selling what's in the pic to put the $ toward a good exhaust.

I have tan leather seats in better condition than what's in the pic, if someone wants them, let me know.

In 1993 they brought in about 4500 RX7's. About 2500 in 94, and just under 500 in 95. Still makes these cars very unique. Consider how many have wrecked and just aren't out there, interested people would do ok with this car .

Cool car, it looks like its been repainted. Unless Mazda did the tad and all the equipment behind the nose in body color. One thing I've always wondered about, is why you go to such a large A/R housing on those motors given such a small displacement. That's been a mystery in my head ever since I saw Joes RX a couple of years ago.

Cool car, it looks like its been repainted. Unless Mazda did the tad and all the equipment behind the nose in body color. One thing I've always wondered about, is why you go to such a large A/R housing on those motors given such a small displacement. That's been a mystery in my head ever since I saw Joes RX a couple of years ago.

Their effective displacement is larger and they produce a lot of exhaust volume at a high velocity.

Their effective displacement is larger and they produce a lot of exhaust volume at a high velocity.

I figured it was something along these lines. The Rotary is still a mystery to me. I know they are loud uncapped, and will rpm like mad. And they don't like heat.

15psi on the stock intercooler isn't a good idea. Definite respray on the front and lack of masking means that job was cheaped out on. Could still be a good starting point though. just ditch the wheels and keep the boost down.

15psi on the stock intercooler isn't a good idea. Definite respray on the front and lack of masking means that job was cheaped out on. Could still be a good starting point though. just ditch the wheels and keep the boost down.

And stock intercooler.

Still has that fucking rats nest, that would be the first thing to go. I would do the non seq mod. electronic boost controller at 12psi, PFC, FMIC, fluidyne radiator, relocate the battery, new filters, throw on some EBC brakes pads, respray plastics and fix that damn glove box. be good for 320hp with absolutely nothing to worry about.

I have a feeling it is salvage. The airbag has been blown at some point. The steering wheel has a horrible looking cover on it. Also, like previously mentioned, the front end looks to have been re-sprayed and doesn't look very good, IMO. The price seems to be right though. It's worth what they're asking.

I think I have dealt with this guy in the past when I was looking for a DD civic Si.

Same story, the price seemed way too good to be true ....

He is a backyard dealer kind of person, he had like 10 cars parked by his house, I was expecting more of an actual dealer lot because of that first pic on CL(looks like a dealer service bay)

Most if not all of his cars are salvage title, the Ad, pics might look better than what it actually is.

The car I was looking at looked pretty descent on CL pics, all the description stuff looked alright, when I got there, the car was beat to hell, hecked all the way, he told me he has a mechanic/body crew that fixes everything and put together for a sale, car was bondoed resprayed, looked horrible(I could do better job with a spray can).

the car ran like shit, frame, body wasn't straight at all, wiring was hecked, CEL on,,,etc list goes on

That FD frontend looks like his "body crew" painted with overspray everywhere.

Just my 2cents... I could be wrong though and it might be a good buy... :popcorn:

Rule #1: saving money on the purchase price of a FD will almost always cost you more money in the long run.

this, anytime a car with a rotary is cheap, chances are the car has been hoed out and not maintained (rotarys are maintenance whores too). looks like a nice car, but it was definately a cheap paint job with the overspray, wonder how the rest of the car was taken care of. just a thought. looks like a good canidate for a swap though.

btw did anyone notice that he said it had smoked headlights and taillights, but it looked like the turn signals were the ones that are smoked (hard to say about the headlights when they arent up though).