dont know if this has been addressed. carry firearm in a car with no trunk.

Spidey2721

in the sho sable wagon i have not trunk or compartment that i would have to leave the vehicle to access. so how would i carry a firearm and ammo without going to jail? do not have my ccw yet. oh and no lockable compartment in the vehicle.

It used to be, and I believe it still is, that you just needed to have the firearm unloaded and not within reach of the driver from the driver's seat. Ammunition needs to be stored separately, preferably locked in the glovebox.

Edit: I see that you have no locking compartments, but I think you're still okay as long as the ammo is separated from the gun and it's not within reach from the driver's seat.

Edited by twistedfocus

Roll down your window and hold the pistol in your left hand draped outside the car. Since it's not "in" the car you'll be legal and cops won't harass you at all.

Good advice but you forgot to mention that it's important to have the finger on the trigger. Cops appreciate a guy who is always ready at a moment's notice.

Get CHL. Makes this a non issue.

This

Otherwise, guns must be unloaded and put them in locked cases

Or just don't get pulled over

Or if you do get pulled over don't volunteer any information the officer hasn't asked about. It wouldnt hurt to toss some stuff over it so its not in plain sight

Ignore Mike, his gun practices will get someone shot or arrested.

Ok fuckface, here's the law

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

© No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(D) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle if, at the time of that transportation or possession, any of the following applies:

(1) The person is under the influence of alcohol, a drug of abuse, or a combination of them.

(2) The person’s whole blood, blood serum or plasma, breath, or urine contains a concentration of alcohol, a listed controlled substance, or a listed metabolite of a controlled substance prohibited for persons operating a vehicle, as specified in division (A) of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code, regardless of whether the person at the time of the transportation or possession as described in this division is the operator of or a passenger in the motor vehicle.

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code

or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following :

(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;

(2) Fail to promptly inform the employee of the unit who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the commercial motor vehicle

;

(3) Knowingly fail to remain in the motor vehicle while stopped or knowingly fail to keep the person’s hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

(4) Knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person’s hands or fingers in the motor vehicle at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

(5) Knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the motor vehicle is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person’s hands in plain sight.

There is more but it has more to do with if you are a gov employee or discharging from a motor vehicle. The gist of the law is that you may not have a loaded firearm accessible to you. If it is accessible and a long gun then it must be in plain site with the action open or disassembled. Handguns still can not be accessible, even in plain sight. It says nothing about whether or not it can be loaded if it is not accessible to you. It also does not say it must be in plain site if it is in a box or container or part of the vehicle that can not be accessed without exiting the vehicle. The law does not prevent you from leaving a loaded firearm in a closed package, box or case or in a part of the vehicle you can not access without leaving (assume trunk or truck bed). The law only states that you must inform an officer to having a firearm if you have a concealed weapon permit AND have a concealed weapon on your person.

So, going by the law that I quoted, the correct way to transport a firearm in a wagon is either in plain sight with the action open or the firearm disassembled, in which case in CAN be within reach like in the back seat (gun racks in pickups are legal after all) OR it must be in a closed package, box, or case. Doesn't have to be locked, and there is no duty to inform unless you are CCWing.

Again, my SUGGESTION is don't get pulled over, and if you do, don't volunteer unnecessary information. But then again, having your CCW means you can have a loaded handgun wherever you want in the car and its cool so long as you inform and don't make any attempt to touch it.

And for more reading material:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-Gun-Laws

Ok fuckface, here's the law

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

There is more but it has more to do with if you are a gov employee or discharging from a motor vehicle. The gist of the law is that you may not have a loaded firearm accessible to you. If it is accessible and a long gun then it must be in plain site with the action open or disassembled. Handguns still can not be accessible, even in plain sight. It says nothing about whether or not it can be loaded if it is not accessible to you. It also does not say it must be in plain site if it is in a box or container or part of the vehicle that can not be accessed without exiting the vehicle. The law does not prevent you from leaving a loaded firearm in a closed package, box or case or in a part of the vehicle you can not access without leaving (assume trunk or truck bed). The law only states that you must inform an officer to having a firearm if you have a concealed weapon permit AND have a concealed weapon on your person.

So, going by the law that I quoted, the correct way to transport a firearm in a wagon is either in plain sight with the action open or the firearm disassembled, in which case in CAN be within reach like in the back seat (gun racks in pickups are legal after all) OR it must be in a closed package, box, or case. Doesn't have to be locked, and there is no duty to inform unless you are CCWing.

Again, my SUGGESTION is don't get pulled over, and if you do, don't volunteer unnecessary information. But then again, having your CCW means you can have a loaded handgun wherever you want in the car and its cool so long as you inform and don't make any attempt to touch it.

And for more reading material:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-Gun-Laws

boyah jasson

Me: Hey officer, I have something to tell you. :dumb:

Officer 1: Yes

Me: I have a gun :masturboy:

Officer 1: Oh.. Do you have your CCW?

Me: No

Officer 1: :fuuuu:

****Bang!!!!*****

Officer 2: WTF Johnson!!!!!!!!!! Why did you shoot him?!?!?!?!!!!!! :yuno:

Officer 1: He had a gun

Officer 2: Oh... :no:

Officer 1: And no CCW

Officer 2: Makes sense. I dont feel like writing a report. Just sprinkle some crack on him and lets go eat. :gabe: