Hawk HPS vs Ceramic?

Science Abuse

HPS's do dust, but they dust far less than OEM and the dust is more of a greyish color than the black/dark dust.

I've used them on 3/4 different chassis with no major issue. The only thing I have run into is on one car where I upgraded to larger 2 piece rotor that runs far cooler than stock. When it's cold & rainy, they take far longer to heat up than usual and can come as a shock to someone not used to the car.

They are also remarkably durable when not tracked.

i run stoptech street performance pads on the STI and I am happy. I had a set of Hawk HP+ before... and OMG. They get pretty dusty but the noise was unbearable until they reach operating temperature, which you will never do driving the car on the street. I heard good things about HPS, but never owned a set my self.

Long story short Good pads make dust.

sucks but it's how it is.

I ran hawk HPS on the saturn many times. the dust they produced was NOTHING like the federos on the brembos of the HHR and believe it or not the OEM pads in this case are the best pads out there for my aplication.

Just ask scott how filthy my rims are when i take it to him lol.

So Eric, I guess we never asked. What are you trying to buy these pads to do?

-Purely street I'd go with the ceramics.

-Street/auto-x buy the HPS.

-If you're going to track it somewhere that there aren't huge brake needs (like Nelson), then HP+.

-Heavy track use, HT-10, DTC-60, DTC-70.

All in the Hawk lineup which is pretty good all around, and all very reasonably priced. I have HPS for my street pads, HP+ that I've used successfully at Nelson, and HT-10s for Mid-Ohio.

So Eric, I guess we never asked. What are you trying to buy these pads to do?

Stop 4000lb car quickly, not fudging up the wheels was just a bonus that I read about and wanted to get input.

I won't be doing road-course track days on this, but bringing the car down from obsenely high speeds in a quick and safe manner is very important to me. Fade problems just won't fly. I've used HPS in this application before and wasn't dissapointed... but I'm adding about 30mph now, and I'm older and wiser, and thinking more about death. :)

HP Plus then, and just deal with the dust. HPS are nice pads but I wouldn't pick them if the primary use is for "stopping the car from obsenely high speeds". The more you lean toward stopping as the primary function of the pads and less toward street civility then I'd consider the HT or DTC pads as well.

I know that's the right choice, but you gotta understand that I'm going through some emotional problems with this car; I'm fighting the urge to Because Racecar. I went a bit nut on my last car and I'm trying to keep this one nice. :)

I'm confused and I need The Rapist... I mean, A Therapist.

If you do the HP+ they will be pretty noisy.

I had Cobra brakes on my 99 GT and went from the OEM PBRs to HPS, night and day difference. Later I got the mod bug and tried the HP+ and couldn't stand the noise. Both were roughly as dusty during street use but the HP+ didn't have very good cold friction and squealed like a pig all the time. I finally went back to HPS and was happy. If you're not actually going to hit the track with this car, I'd stay away from the HP+.

Also, F ceramic pads. (Carbotech excluded)

Akebono's available for your application? Better than high line ceramics performance wise, they didn't dust at all, totally quiet. Had them on Erica's Civic, put this set-up on numerous euro applications with great results.