New Wheels on the Cobra

2highpsi

Napa belts are the same as gates, if I recall. I never had slippage with a gatorback belt, 2.76 upper, billetflow suregrip pulley, and the snub idler. Check your belt tensioner as well, to see if the spring is bottomed out.

My car has had a napa belt for 5 years and 11k miles on my whippled cobra and sees 18psi.

Wheels look good.

I may part with my 19k whippled/auto/solid rear cobra if I decide to get a new ford. We'll see.

I am really starting to think its either in the bypass valve, or the tensioner.

If you are considering a new Ford, let me know. I run a Ford store, so I can get you X-plan,.... plus you can trade your car in and get tax savings. Then I can swap the Whipple on to my car :lol:

I am really starting to think its either in the bypass valve, or the tensioner.

If you are considering a new Ford, let me know. I run a Ford store, so I can get you X-plan,.... plus you can trade your car in and get tax savings. Then I can swap the Whipple on to my car :lol:

There's only one ford I'm looking at, and its not the festiva--not sure the x-plan would work, but I could always try. I'd prefer to trade my cobra in---ive had no issues with the car, but never sell stuff like this privately in the event something would break/etc on the car.

There's only one ford I'm looking at, and its not the festiva--not sure the x-plan would work, but I could always try. I'd prefer to trade my cobra in---ive had no issues with the car, but never sell stuff like this privately in the event something would break/etc on the car.

PM me with details.

The only car I MIGHT have a problem x-planning is a 13 Shelby, and that's only because I've already sold my first and second allocation and I'm not guaranteed another. However if I get another it's not a problem.

Either way, Let me know.

Napa belts are the same as gates, if I recall. I never had slippage with a gatorback belt, 2.76 upper, billetflow suregrip pulley, and the snub idler. Check your belt tensioner as well, to see if the spring is bottomed out.

My car has had a napa belt for 5 years and 11k miles on my whippled cobra and sees 18psi.

Wheels look good.

I may part with my 19k whippled/auto/solid rear cobra if I decide to get a new ford. We'll see.

My first thought would be belt slip. Sometimes everything will look normal, but the belt will slip under a heavier load. Check the engine compartment for signs of excess dust from the belt.

If you have questions about Cobras, there are a couple of us on here that know them really well.

My first thought would be belt slip. Sometimes everything will look normal, but the belt will slip under a heavier load. Check the engine compartment for signs of excess dust from the belt.

If you have questions about Cobras, there are a couple of us on here that know them really well.

+1.

The fact that he gets full boost in 2nd, leads me to believe the blower is fine. With more load on the motor in 4th gear, belt slip will be more easily exposed. My belt tensioner went bad this past summer with only 18k miles--started squeaking. Many of them bottom out and don't hold tension.

Its a $50 part from ford. I'd start with that, and a new belt, and go from there. When I had the stock blower, billetflow pulleys were the best as far as grip goes--dont know if that's changed. Another popular option is a 2.93 upper/ 4lb lower.

+1.

The fact that he gets full boost in 2nd, leads me to believe the blower is fine. With more load on the motor in 4th gear, belt slip will be more easily exposed. My belt tensioner went bad this past summer with only 18k miles--started squeaking. Many of them bottom out and don't hold tension.

Its a $50 part from ford. I'd start with that, and a new belt, and go from there. When I had the stock blower, billetflow pulleys were the best as far as grip goes--dont know if that's changed. Another popular option is a 2.93 upper/ 4lb lower.

2.93/4lb lower here :)

OP, how are you shifting? I'd guess you weren't banging gears down low with the radials. Power shift 4th? When my bypass was f'ing up, it would usually do it in 3rd or 4th after I would power shift. It would hang open and bleed off a ton of boost, but mine would drop to 4-5lbs. I'd have to see a pic of your vacuum line setup to be sure on that. Belt will also slip the harder you shift. Don't get too frustrated as it's usually and easy fix. What size belt and idler pullies are you running? Have you checked stangshiftergaskets.com(Cobra Bob's site) for the correct belt sizes?

2.93/4lb lower here :)

OP, how are you shifting? I'd guess you weren't banging gears down low with the radials. Power shift 4th? When my bypass was f'ing up, it would usually do it in 3rd or 4th after I would power shift. It would hang open and bleed off a ton of boost, but mine would drop to 4-5lbs. I'd have to see a pic of your vacuum line setup to be sure on that. Belt will also slip the harder you shift. Don't get too frustrated as it's usually and easy fix. What size belt and idler pullies are you running? Have you checked stangshiftergaskets.com(Cobra Bob's site) for the correct belt sizes?

I baby shifted the 1-2 and 2-3 because I couldn't hook up for the life of me.

But you are correct, I did powershift the 3-4.

I actually got the belt size off of Cobra Bob's site. It feels good and tight, but if the tensioner (which is still original) is going out maybe that kind of load loosens things up.

I want a 4lb lower. Maybe I will go ahead and order that before I get another belt, and tensioner.

What happens if you dont run a bypass at all?

If its over-boost- I call that winning.

No over boost. Basically it just bypasses the blower when significant power isn't required (i.e., normal traffic conditions). It's meant for smoother power and better fuel economy under normal driving conditions. Modifying the bypass gives more consistent boost under all loads, but more specifically under heavy load.

I baby shifted the 1-2 and 2-3 because I couldn't hook up for the life of me.

But you are correct, I did powershift the 3-4.

I actually got the belt size off of Cobra Bob's site. It feels good and tight, but if the tensioner (which is still original) is going out maybe that kind of load loosens things up.

I want a 4lb lower. Maybe I will go ahead and order that before I get another belt, and tensioner.

For what it's worth, I just ordered a 6lb lower and will have a 4lb ring hanging out in the garage sometime soon.

I'd lean toward the bypass or belt slip for whatever reason then.

No over boost. Basically it just bypasses the blower when significant power isn't required (i.e., normal traffic conditions). It's meant for smoother power and better fuel economy under normal driving conditions. .

Pfft. Sound's like I'd be ripping that bastard right out of there then. :fuckyeah:

For what it's worth, I just ordered a 6lb lower and will have a 4lb ring hanging out in the garage sometime soon.

I'd lean toward the bypass or belt slip for whatever reason then.

PM me how much. I'll probably take it off your hands

That's what I did, most of the extra shit on that blower can be removed.

So I can just tug all that shit off?