Best purchase I've ever made - Dog Lovers Come In

TTQ B4U

Anyone here ever had their beloved house dog escape the yard? Unfortunately when having pets and kids, it's just a matter of when, not if, an accident like this happens. :no:

Around 7:30 in mid-shower, my wife tells me the dogs may have gotten out of our fenced yard (insert a panic'd f-u-c-k!! :fuuuu:) from my shower.

After racing downstairs I went out front as my wife covered the back yard(s) and my boy Patches came running around the corner a few homes down and made it back safely.

For the better part of the next hour after, I was coming the streets looking for our Brindle Boxer Xena. My heart sank further with each street I covered and not having a collar on, as they used to run naked in our home, really made me regret that long time in practice decision.

Anxiously waiting for my wife to call saying she came home, my cell rings showing Animal Care Center Sawmill. Prayers were answered. She was picked up by a family an entire neighborhood away in the opposite direction where I was last searching. Evidently she approached them happy as can be but tired and really wanted in their car as they were leaving for errands.

They were great, took her to the vet in hopes of her having a micro chip implant and the rest is history, as they were able reach me and reunite the family.

CLIFFS: Dog escapes fenced yard; microchip purchase and subscription saves the day. Now the dogs will wear their collars 24x7 inside or out.

When we moved into our new house with the 8' tall fenced in yard I still get nervous leaving them out there alone.. I never know if the neighbor kid kicked a ball over the fence and opened the gate.. So Im always worried about them getting out.. One day my older boxer went runnning out the front door when I got home. He just trotted down the side walk, stopped at the corner and looked both ways. Crossed the street and sat down. LOL.

Both of our boxers are micro chipped. You NEVER know when they will get out.

We are very bad with leaving the collars on. I hate when they shake at night and make all kinds of noise. We need to get back to leaving them on.

Glad the dog was found. Everytime ours happens to leave(thankfully she stays in the front yard) I know whoever sees her will instantly go into fear thinking shes a pitbull (shes a boxer as well)and freak out.

That's why I'm glad the white/black one (Patches) made it back as he likely is part Pit and while he's friendly, he's not nearly the happy-go-lucky freak our Boxer is. That's what makes me think he came back and stayed close as he's more Leary of being away from us. She on the other hand is a speed freak (pun intended) and is fast as hell. I bet she ran the entire time she was out.

Dont they have GPS collars available now? Id do something like that

Collars can also be a death trap for dogs that play a lot, or if you have anything that the collar can get stuck on. I absolutely hate regular collars, especially after my mutt almost hanged herself when she got stuck on our picket fence. It's lucky that I was so close and could lift her off. I only use break away collars now.

We have 3 gates in our backyard and I have had to put locks on two after someone decided if you be a good idea to let me dogs out. On the third, I added a spring system to make it close automatically so that I don't have to worry too much about the latch not catching for whatever reason.

Collars can also be a death trap for dogs that play a lot, or if you have anything that the collar can get stuck on. I absolutely hate regular collars, especially after my mutt almost hanged herself when she got stuck on our picket fence. It's lucky that I was so close and could lift her off. I only use break away collars now.

WOW! I'll have to look into the break away ones.

We have 3 gates in our backyard and I have had to put locks on two after someone decided if you be a good idea to let me dogs out. On the third, I added a spring system to make it close automatically so that I don't have to worry too much about the latch not catching for whatever reason.

Here too. 3 gates and what happened is my sons friend who came over left the larger 4' one that is never used opened. :mad: I shouldn't be mad but I can't help but get pissed when people / his friends don't seem to have sense or respect about things. Flip side is he doesn't have a dog and sense in a 9 yr old is a bit non existant unless their parents teach them. :dumb: I'm constantly trying to reinforce in my kids manners and respect and just plain awareness about things like locking doors, taking shoes off, closing gates, picking up things, etc....

Both of our dogs are chipped, our issue is when they've gotten out, they don't understand the road is dangerous. It's a 55 mph zone in front of our place. They zig zag from one side to the other, yard to yard. That's my nightmare.

Both of our dogs are chipped, our issue is when they've gotten out, they don't understand the road is dangerous. It's a 55 mph zone in front of our place. They zig zag from one side to the other, yard to yard. That's my nightmare.

leave your grass long. Problem solved.