Auto-X Saturday May 19th

blue98ls1

Going there to spectate, it going to be a big turnout more than likely? I was there briefly a few weeks ago and it was pretty packed still, at 4pm

That was probably some other club. As the first post states, this will be limited to 40 entries.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you guys I wouldn't count on their coffee/doughnuts as your total breakfast. I typically still grab something else. There is a McDonalds/Canes/Subway/Kroger in the shopping center at Olentangy and Ackerman just East of the lot.

When have I EVER been to an autocross? :(

What helmet specs do I need I will pick one up

EDIT where is a good place to get one?

An M-rated helmet is fine, 2005 or newer. I picked up an M-2010 a few weeks back at Iron Pony for $90, thats about the best place to start as they have lots of options and price ranges.

Drag strips are fine with an M-rating as well (unless you're really fast), really only road courses look for an SA.

Cool. Just picked up a HJC CL-16 it says snell approved and the guy at iron pony said if it says snell in the store it is a snell m helmet. Now I just need to order a Powell Motor Sports reduced hight seat bracket. Stupid sunroofs. Thanks for the help Scott.

Current SNELL helmet will be perfect

If you guys are newer to this or first timers I highy recommend getting there around 8-830. This will get you registered, prepped for tech, etc. You will have a much better experience if you aren't rushed. Plus with as long as the PCA course designs are you will want the extra time to walk the course a couple times. Find someone who you know/looks like they have done this a while and take a walk around the course with them. Experienced people have really interesting stuff to point out that you may have not noticed before on a course walk.

If you don't have magnetic numbers REMEMBER TO BRING PAINTERS TAPE or something to number your car. I have seen people printing numbers off their computer and tape paper in the window.....whatever just make it big and legible. If you aren't driving a Porsche or Mercedes you will be in "X" class.

As far as tech goes, they are going to look at the condition of your tires, maybe peek through your wheels, they usually torque your wheels, so if you are sensitive to this I bring my own torque wrench and do it in front of the inspector. IMPORTANT to note is that you have to have a battery tie down, they will check that the battery is secured in the car. They will take a peek at your helmet. It is also a good idea to make sure there isn't a ton of crap to fly around inside the car, it could be a safety concern/more or a distraction than anything.

Edited by Crossle

Ok just want to do a quick rundown of what I should bring for tomorrow

I figure

Tire preasure gauge

Hat.

Snacks Drink.

A few tools.

Helmet (obviously)

Sunblock

Can anyone recomend anything else? I don't have any lawn chairs.

bug spray?

Also would someone be so kind to put a drop point on which parking lot the event will be held at? I am unfamiliar with the area. Yes you can call me :dumb:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ackerman+Rd,+Columbus,+Franklin,+Ohio+43210&hl=en&ll=40.017509,-83.029046&spn=0.012604,0.01899&gbv=2&geocode=FQuaYgIdwikN-w&hnear=Ackerman+Rd,+Columbus,+Franklin,+Ohio+43210&t=h&z=16

Those are about right.

Go through the car tonight; top off fluids, add air to your tires (so you don't need to scramble to find compressed air source tomorrow), check if lugs are tight, check if battery hold down is tight, leave unnecessary things at home (to reduce clutter and shorten unloading and pack up times tomorrow), and bring blue painter's tape if you don't have numbers.

If you have a tent, bring that too so your buddies can have a shelter from the hot sun ;)

Beats fuel starvation. On sweepers, some cars get fuel starvation and it costs more time than carrying around extra weight that's not even a percent of total mass. Besides, if you are concerned about fuel weight, your car is capable of and you are gunning for FTD, right ?

Sure. LOL I highly doubt it will happen tho lol

So I know some places and forms of racing don't like shorts. Are they allowed in autox?

God I have never felt so stupid in my life asking so many questions. :dumb: