Satellite Radio Fans

Bigbird

I'm thinking about getting a new head unit for my car, and I would like all the sweet stuff (nav, BT, HD and satellite radio). I've heard that if you've got a promotional price you can haggle with them and get to keep that price, but what about someone that's new to the game? How would I go about getting a good deal on it?

One thought was to just sign up for like 3 months or so of satellite radio at regular price, and then at the end call up to cancel because I "can't afford it". Any (real) input would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about getting a new head unit for my car, and I would like all the sweet stuff (nav, BT, HD and satellite radio). I've heard that if you've got a promotional price you can haggle with them and get to keep that price, but what about someone that's new to the game? How would I go about getting a good deal on it?

One thought was to just sign up for like 3 months or so of satellite radio at regular price, and then at the end call up to cancel because I "can't afford it". Any (real) input would be appreciated.

I've tried, they never budge for me so I wait until I get a new lease and enjoy it for a year. After, it goes off and I try again to get ANY "special" and it never works.

Don't waste your money. I'm about to cancel my subscription for the second time. It's just not worth it. I really don't get how people can claim it is so much better than FM when all they do is play the same 10 songs on repeat, on every single station. I'm willing to bet that there is an Adele song on at least 1 station every minute of the day and I hate that bitch. The rock stations suck (I'm pretty sure they're playing Adele now, too). Country selection is limited to about 3 stations, of which, they mostly play new country (which sucks). Rap/hip hop/R&B stations..........suck. I don't listen to Stern and I'm not sure why anybody would. At this point, I'm going back to FM and CDs.

Don't waste your money. I'm about to cancel my subscription for the second time. It's just not worth it. I really don't get how people can claim it is so much better than FM when all they do is play the same 10 songs on repeat, on every single station. I'm willing to bet that there is an Adele song on at least 1 station every minute of the day and I hate that bitch. The rock stations suck (I'm pretty sure they're playing Adele now, too). Country selection is limited to about 3 stations, of which, they mostly play new country (which sucks). Rap/hip hop/R&B stations..........suck. I don't listen to Stern and I'm not sure why anybody would. At this point, I'm going back to FM and CDs.

This

Satellite is a waste IMO - not worth the subscription money. HD radio is awesome though, and most (every channel I've listened to in Columbus) is commercial free, and obviously way higher quality than "normal" radio, not to mention totally free. WNCI has a 24/7 club mix show channel, 105.7 and 106.7 both have alternate endless music stations, and AM channels are tons clearer.

Satellite is a waste IMO - not worth the subscription money. HD radio is awesome though, and most (every channel I've listened to in Columbus) is commercial free, and obviously way higher quality than "normal" radio, not to mention totally free. WNCI has a 24/7 club mix show channel, 105.7 and 106.7 both have alternate endless music stations, and AM channels are tons clearer.

I wouldn't mind for a deal but full price? Never.

Stern is on 3 days a week at most, seems like even less usually so even he isn't a draw like he used to be. Most stations are on a loop. I listen EARLY in the morning and when i'm on my way home, I can list off the songs in order since it's just on repeat. Seems like they don't change up the "loop" for about a week.

Had my dads car for a week with XM. I found one talk show I liked while driving to class, that's it. Bluetooth + pandora through your phone are far superior. You can also get most of the big name shows through phones too.

I did subscribe to Sirius each year. I listen to it all day at work. I mostly listen to First Wave and Lithium. If I need to concentrate, I'll listen to Spa. Blue Collar Comedy is also pretty good. I'm pretty happy with the selection.

^^ this x2 here. I've had it on several cars including a free 3yr subscription on my company car that I"m in most all the time during the day and I still never use it.

The quality sucks really and the content is bullshit in terms of music. I do jump between 3-4 comedy channels now and then but even there the content is re-run so much that if I listen to it more than once a month, it's all repeat.

do the 3 month thing and then call and cancel and say its too expensive, they will offer you something like $70-$75 for a year. This happened to me with Sirius and then when i did finally cancel they keep sending me coupons for 5 months for $25. not a bad deal, thinking about getting it again just cause its only $5 a month.

I just ordered the Sony BT4000 unit for my Jeep. I recently locked in 5 years for a discount on my girlfriends headunit.

Sirius might not be worth it completely but it comes in handy. I listen to all the classic rock, rap and sports channels. My girl likes the techno/electronic stations.

Im planning on streaming Sirius over BT to my new headunit instead of linking the headunit up to another account.

I've had sirius for years now. I have the "music only" package which is $9.99 a month and pretty much only listen to Octane. I just hate listening to commercials when I want to listen to music.

Ryan just get Spotify Premium and call it a day.

Spoti-who? Is it like Pandora? The head unit I got allows me to control my iPod through it (double din touch screen, so it isn't janky) and its got a micro-sd slot so I might just go with that and bluetooth streaming for a while, maybe an HD radio receiver so I can hear Paul Keels in his true glory. I'd still like to get satellite, just because, but I'll listen to my girlfriends a bit more and think about it.