Anyone know of a Psychiatrist/ Therapist?

STEVE-O

I need the same info. Looking for someone who can help with depression, bi-polar (pretty severe) and anger management. Though I'd prefer the kind of Dr that can manage/monitor my medicine as opposed to one who will just listen.

I need the same info. Looking for someone who can help with depression' date=' bi-polar (pretty severe) and anger management. Though I'd prefer the kind of Dr that can manage/monitor my medicine as opposed to one who will just listen.[/quote']

Then you need a psychiatrist, not a therapist.

That's what I figured. Finding someone you feel comfortable talking to isn't easy. It's honestly worse than most experiences I've had in my life. I feel like they go home and talk about how insane you are.

Surprised nobody suggested asking Doc who he recommends.

The best advise I ever got in these regards came from Doc, but first you have to realize that a counsiler/social worker, psycologist, and a phyciatrist are 3 pretty different people that get more expensive the further up the chain you go. The counsiler is a good place to start and can help most people work through their problems. A psycologist is a better educated and gets more involved, and a phyciatrist is pretty much top of the mental health food chain, writes perscriptions, hospitalizes people, whatever. Depending on your needs one may be better then the other.

FYI this is why Doc can be offended by calling him a psycologist, he had to become a doctor before he could become a psyciatrist.

Anyway I got a lot of help by just seeing a counsiler for a while, but had it been worse she could've referred me up.

psychiatrist is not the top of the food chain for mental health. If the legislation passes, psychologist will be able to prescribe medication the same as psychiatrist in Ohio. It has already been done in the Army since atleast the 90's.

psychiatrist is not the top of the food chain for mental health. If the legislation passes, psychologist will be able to prescribe medication the same as psychiatrist in Ohio. It has already been done in the Army since atleast the 90's.

Not to mention the fact that each has a different proficiency and different qualifications. They don't do the same job, and are often used in tandem to treat people. A Ph.D. and an M.D. simply do not compare and are not on some sort of linear food chain. If Doc actually said that, I would be disappointed in his thinking there. The fact that a guy who can't spell counselor says it, well that doesn't really mean anything. I've also never met anyone who would feel insulted by someone thinking they had a Ph.D., especially considering the rarity of either a doctorate or a medical degree.

Not to mention the fact that each has a different proficiency and different qualifications. They don't do the same job, and are often used in tandem to treat people. A Ph.D. and an M.D. simply do not compare and are not on some sort of linear food chain. If Doc actually said that, I would be disappointed in his thinking there. The fact that a guy who can't spell counselor says it, well that doesn't really mean anything.

No Doc didn't say that, just that different postions in the mental health industry have different interests and how a lot of people mix up the terms.

and kiss my non-spelling ass.

No Doc didn't say that, just that different postions in the mental health industry have different interests and how a lot of people mix up the terms.

and kiss my non-spelling ass.

You mixed up the terms in your attempt to provide clarity for people who may be seeking treatment. That's a problem that's much greater than your inability to spell. You cannot group those professionals on a chain, yet you did. They each have a different function and simply saying "these here fellas are the tops..." is completely incorrect. You should not interject your opinion, presented as fact supported by a professional, in a thread like this.

Some things off the top of the head that would help you get better answers for your friend...

Do they have a job with medical benefits they plan to use? If money is an issue this could come into play.

Why does your friend feel they need help? As stated the type of help needed will determine what type of help people here suggest.

Have they discussed this with their family doctor? If they have a good family doctor they can help steer them in the right direction.

Some things off the top of the head that would help you get better answers for your friend...

Do they have a job with medical benefits they plan to use? If money is an issue this could come into play.

Why does your friend feel they need help? As stated the type of help needed will determine what type of help people here suggest.

Have they discussed this with their family doctor? If they have a good family doctor they can help steer them in the right direction.

All good points. The family doctor should not be forgotten or left out of a loop at all.

this was just a personal choice of mine. I wanted to explore all options available to me before I went on any medications.

My anger issues were gone within a few sessions.

I would make sure whatever your friend decides, I would recommend therapy first with a psychologist, then if they both decide that medication is the way to go, follow that route.

the problems are from childhood experiences and I am sure meds will not be needed but you never know and it might be paid with insureance as they jus started a new job so it would not be anything very soon. also i have to convince them fully to go seek help but i wanted to get some research and facts first

Please make sure the person does a lot of homework. I have had many employees use our programs and some of the people they see are complete quacks. The one guy kept signing off for people to take leave for 30 days and prescribing tranquilizers. It got to the point that people were going to him just to get a paid vacation and happy pills. Im talking 10+ people with the same medication and the same therapy for various issues. Dont let that be your friend.