Stairs

gaewsky1

I just tore up 10 yr old carpet from the main staircase in our house. My wife has bad allergies to dust mites and I was wondering what type of surface others have on their stairs besides carpet. The wood underneath is nothing special so I was thinking of painting it but wanted other options.

Thanks.

good thread...especially as i just went to look at carpet for my 1/2 basement and 6 steps leading down tonight, and after figuring the cost, im considering doing my own laminate down there, but i need to figure out something for the steps.

My wife's old office had some nasty carpet in it too. During the remodel we added new wood treads and decided to keep the dark trim theme combined with white to give it a more modern look. We put a runner so that the noise would be kept to a minimum.

Bottom line, I like the runner idea. We'll be doing this to our home soon.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/143403561/original.jpg

There are a lot of options, but I like a stained solid wood. You can do different types of carpet runners, or just do carpet on the treads (not on the riser) to reduce allergies.

My father owns a stair company if you want someone to do the work.

Thanks but I'm looking to do it cheap.

I think I'll just end up painting them for now. May add treads later. Too much going on now and not enough work for me to put nice oak treads in the home makeover budget.

Thanks but I'm looking to do it cheap.

I think I'll just end up painting them for now. May add treads later. Too much going on now and not enough work for me to put nice oak treads in the home makeover budget.

I could probably get paint grade solid wood treads for pretty cheap.