Questions about car insurance...How long do companies go back for record?????

mustangman2011

3 to 5 years depending on the type of accident / violation. Your person ALH report will always display anything on your record but insurance companies won't charge if it is old enough.

3 to 5 years depending on the type of accident / violation. Your person ALH report will always display anything on your record but insurance companies won't charge if it is old enough.

Correct answer. Most go back 35 months and some of the larger "preferred carriers" go back 5 yrs.

Progressive goes back 3 years

The "better" companies like State Farm and Allstate go back 5

I don't know of any insurance companies that go back only 2 years - that's just when points drop off your actual license.

Depends on the company primarily, and the state second. Progressive is 35 months in Ohio for tickets and NOT at fault accidents, and 59 months for AT fault accidents although the points themselves usually drop after 35 months on an AAF. Depending on your carrier, there are two ways to solve the problem of a ticket on your record in the middle of a policy term:

1. Call and ask if they can remove it. Progressive (and maybe others) will remove your violation if it is past 35 months old, and you haven't had any additional tickets/accidents since the renewal of your current term.

2. If that isn't an option, you can call and cancel your current term, then get a brand new policy the same day. By rewriting the policy as of the date your ticket comes off, you avoid having to pay for it beyond the 35 month period. Just make sure you aren't losing your tenure with the company, getting dinged with a cancel fee, etc etc.

2. If that isn't an option, you can call and cancel your current term, then get a brand new policy the same day. By rewriting the policy as of the date your ticket comes off, you avoid having to pay for it beyond the 35 month period. Just make sure you aren't losing your tenure with the company, getting dinged with a cancel fee, etc etc.

Depending on the insurance underwriting rules it might not matter. I would check first and only suggest rewriting a policy if it moves you to a positive company with better rates. This sometimes happen after x number of months in "good standing" substandard company.

Depending on the insurance underwriting rules it might not matter. I would check first and only suggest rewriting a policy if it moves you to a positive company with better rates. This sometimes happen after x number of months in "good standing" substandard company.

Very good point. I probably should've specified too that this is more common when you want to stay with your current carrier. We had a lot of people do that in the states where mid-term violation removal isn't allowed (California, for example). But yes, I've seen situations where one ticket dropping off didn't even affect the policy at all. The variations in policies and underwriting rules can be so insanely complex that it's always better to straight up ask a service rep first before making ANY moves.