DSG 40k service(Local shops?)

jhein2580

Just looking for advice on the best location in or around Columbus(Northwest) that work specifically on Volkswagens.

My 2010 Jetta sportwagen TDI with DSG transmission is getting close to the 40K mark for a recommended service. Typically I like to do most services myself but the more I read about this transmission service I start to question my capability and tools required to do it "RIGHT".

1) Has anyone around town done this service at home?

2) What shop did you use here in Columbus and the approx. cost?

If this is in the wrong location please feel free to move it. Also did a search for this topic but did not find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

I strongly suggest taking your car to Nick in the service center at Hatfield VW. If you tell him a member from OhioVW sent you, he may even cut you a break on labor. Really good guys over there, and they love seeing people who are enthusiastic about their cars.

I work near MAG and only use them when necessary because I have had terrible experience when dealing with them for service. Rather not get into it but lets just say that now that my "free" maintainence is up I will travel to get GOOD service.

Have heard good things about Hatfield so I might give them a try. I would really like to find a good "non-dealer" to help promote local small business.

Cheers

My dad uses Jon's Auto up on rt 4 by Marysville. He does tons of work on TDis and is super friendly and knowledgeable. I can't remember how much it is, but I thought it was under $300?

http://www.jonsautocare.com/

Great experiences with Jon's as well for me. Had him do the timing belt on my TDI, very detail oriented and reasonably priced.

My MKV GTI is almost due for the DSG service as well. Dayton dealer quoted $350, they are much closer for me but I may still end up going to Jon.

100% take it to hatfield Nick in service will take care of you and Nate/Brian or Nick back in the shop are 100% the most competent to do your repairs. And some of the DSG transmissions in TDIs have an error code in the mechatronics unit and VW pays for it.

I work near MAG and only use them when necessary because I have had terrible experience when dealing with them for service. Rather not get into it but lets just say that now that my "free" maintainence is up I will travel to get GOOD service.

Have heard good things about Hatfield so I might give them a try. I would really like to find a good "non-dealer" to help promote local small business.

Cheers

Something like a DSG service, I wouldn't take to anyone other than VW certified mechanics.

My dad uses Jon's Auto up on rt 4 by Marysville. He does tons of work on TDis and is super friendly and knowledgeable. I can't remember how much it is, but I thought it was under $300?

http://www.jonsautocare.com/

I know a few people on our Audi forums that have used him with only good things said. I could ask any of the Byer's Audi/VW guys if they could do it on the side for you. I know Rick does some side work. He was at hatfield, but moved to Byers. Let me know if you want me to ask.

Thanks for all the input. Will not need the service until later this year before winter so at that time I will call both John's Auto and Hatfeild and decide which is best for me. Leaning towards John's Auto since my experience with dealerships is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Try to let you know my experience after I get the service completed.

Cheers.