Need a huge favor from the photography/photoshop members.

Rustlestiltskin

I have one of my good friend's wedding comming up that i'm in this weekend and wanted to get him something special for his wedding. I will be getting this framed poster sent to his house. I was going to blow up this picture into poster size (24x36) and have it framed. He was in the iraq war during 2004-2005. This was his army platoon. The Third Herd

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj288/Dubs740/alsturgeon.jpg

Now could any of you photoshop/photography members convert this into a higher resolution picture for me. I dont wanna have it blown up into poster size and it be all blurry. If somebody could do this it would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

Copy and Pasted from my hosting site. Hopefully this will give you a little in-site.

Suppose your photo is 2000x3000 pixels and you expect your admirers to order anywhere from 6" prints to 40" prints. What should you do?

Our recommendation is to leave it alone. EZ Prints will upsample/downsample as needed and they can do it better than all but the most serious experts.

We can feel your worry and doubt: "But...a 30-inch print is only 100 dots per inch..." We routinely show the following print at 80 dpi, 24x30 inches to passionate and fussy photographers. Their only comment about quality is "stunning":

http://cdn.smugmug.com/img/help/high-resolution-photo-storage.jpg

Photoshop books and forum posts tend to focus on resolution, compression and using color spaces which capture the broadest range of colors.

But buyers of prints give dramatically different reasons for returning them.

The lesson of millions and millions of prints:

The overwhelming reasons prints come back are skin tone, under exposure, and contrast. Choosing a broad color space hurt—not helped—the return rate and was responsible for 5% of returned prints.

The big surprise is not even large prints bound for museums or photography exhibits had issues with resolution or compression.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/attachments/6304

After reading all that, get ahold of the original file, and see where you measure up with this chart. These are minimums.

(If you can't get a hold of the original I would find something else to do for him)

http://freezeframephto.smugmug.com/photos/i-rF38jPb/0/XL/i-rF38jPb-XL.jpg

There isn't a way to enhance the picture? TIM WHERE ARE YOU BRO?????

Do you have the original? What size is it? I can easily enlarge stuff with great results but will need more than just the compressed jpeg scan shown here. You might want to do an 8x10 or 8x12 with something like a collage of of smaller images below it and frame the entire thing.

PM me. I"m online now.

Paul, there's hope. You absolutely can not use a scanned picture though. You have the original right?

Well, you can use a scanned original, but your limited to the quality of the print, paper and condition overall. Just scan it correctly.

Kodak and Fuji machines commonly found in most labs print at 300 dpi. The Agfa D-Lab prints at 400 dpi, so the source limitation is there but it can be done.

If you have a original print a scanner can enlarge it a great deal. Some will argue, but the fact is a scanner does this by doing an analog/digital conversion. Afterwards just a few adjustments in photoshop will finish off the image. Coming from 4x6 all the way to 24x36 will be a good stretch though so I hope you got something like an 8x12, as that would be perfect.

I'd give it a shot and you can take the photo file to Cord Camera or where ever to get it printed.

I have access to an Epson printer I believe it can do 1100 dpi. I will check the specs next time I am near it. I can print 24in x however long you want the print. I work for Fujifilm, and as far as printing pictures goes I can take care of almost anything you need.