RIP Rodney King

AWW$HEEET

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A life fraught with bad luck, addiction, confusion, etc. Seemed like a good dude and one of the more sane people on Dr. Drew's rehab show.

What horrible news. Definitely a good dude, sad to see him go. :rolleyes:

2005: King was arrested on suspicion of threatening to kill one of his daughters and her mother after the two women argued with his then-girlfriend. No charges were filed.

2003: Rialto police watched him weave through traffic in his Ford Expedition at more than 100 mph before plowing through a fence and into a San Bernardino house. He pleaded guilty to being under the influence of PCP and was sentenced to a six-month drug rehabilitation program followed by a 120-day jail sentence.

2003: Rialto police arrested King on suspicion of punching his girlfriend in the stomach. No charges were filed.

2001: King was ordered to attend a yearlong drug treatment program after he was arrested for indecent exposure and being under the influence in Claremont.

1999: King was sentenced to 90 days in the San Bernardino County jail and placed on probation for four years after a domestic dispute involving one of his daughters and her mother. He was required to attend a batterer's treatment program and a child-abuse program, according to court records.

1995: King was arrested by Alhambra police, charged with hitting his wife with his car, knocking her to the ground. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail after being convicted of hit and run.

1993: King entered an alcohol rehabilitation program and was placed on probation after crashing his vehicle into a block wall in downtown Los Angeles with a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit.

1991: King was arrested on suspicion of trying to run over a vice squad officer who allegedly found him with a transvestite prostitute in Hollywood, but no charges were filed.

May 11, 1991: King was pulled over for having an excessively tinted windshield. Although King was driving without a license and his car registration had expired, King was not charged.

March 3, 1991: After being seen speeding on the 210 freeway by CHP officers, King led them on a chase at speeds estimated at up to 110 to 115 mph. When finally stopped, King refused requests to get into the prone position and appeared to charge one of the officers. He was beaten and arrested. King was charged with felony evading. Charges were later dropped.

November 3, 1989: King, brandishing a tire iron, ordered a convenience store clerk to empty the cash register. The clerk grabbed the tire iron, causing King to fall backwards and knock over a pie rack. King swung the rack at the clerk and fled the store with $200. King was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, second-degree robbery, and intent to commit great bodily injury. In a plea agreement, King pleaded guilty to the robbery charge and the other charges were dropped. He was sentenced to two years in prison, but was paroled on December 27, 1990.

July 27, 1987: According to a complaint filed by his wife, King beat her while she was sleeping, then dragged her outside the house and beat her again. King was charged with battery and pleaded "no contest." He was placed on probation and ordered to obtain counseling. He never got the counseling.

What horrible news. Definitely a good dude, sad to see him go. :rolleyes:

2005: King was arrested on suspicion of threatening to kill one of his daughters and her mother after the two women argued with his then-girlfriend. No charges were filed.

2003: Rialto police watched him weave through traffic in his Ford Expedition at more than 100 mph before plowing through a fence and into a San Bernardino house. He pleaded guilty to being under the influence of PCP and was sentenced to a six-month drug rehabilitation program followed by a 120-day jail sentence.

2003: Rialto police arrested King on suspicion of punching his girlfriend in the stomach. No charges were filed.

2001: King was ordered to attend a yearlong drug treatment program after he was arrested for indecent exposure and being under the influence in Claremont. got caught pissing outside while drunk

1999: King was sentenced to 90 days in the San Bernardino County jail and placed on probation for four years after a domestic dispute involving one of his daughters and her mother. He was required to attend a batterer's treatment program and a child-abuse program, according to court records.

1995: King was arrested by Alhambra police, charged with hitting his wife with his car, knocking her to the ground. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail after being convicted of hit and run.

1993: King entered an alcohol rehabilitation program and was placed on probation after crashing his vehicle into a block wall in downtown Los Angeles with a blood-alcohol level twice the legal limit.

1991: King was arrested on suspicion of trying to run over a vice squad officer who allegedly found him with a transvestite prostitute in Hollywood, but no charges were filed.

May 11, 1991: King was pulled over for having an excessively tinted windshield. Although King was driving without a license and his car registration had expired, King was not charged.

March 3, 1991: After being seen speeding on the 210 freeway by CHP officers, King led them on a chase at speeds estimated at up to 110 to 115 mph. When finally stopped, King refused requests to get into the prone position and appeared to charge one of the officers. He was beaten and arrested. King was charged with felony evading. Charges were later dropped.

November 3, 1989: King, brandishing a tire iron, ordered a convenience store clerk to empty the cash register. The clerk grabbed the tire iron, causing King to fall backwards and knock over a pie rack. King swung the rack at the clerk and fled the store with $200. King was arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, second-degree robbery, and intent to commit great bodily injury. In a plea agreement, King pleaded guilty to the robbery charge and the other charges were dropped. He was sentenced to two years in prison, but was paroled on December 27, 1990.

July 27, 1987: According to a complaint filed by his wife, King beat her while she was sleeping, then dragged her outside the house and beat her again. King was charged with battery and pleaded "no contest." He was placed on probation and ordered to obtain counseling. He never got the counseling.

Looks like he did a couple things wrong in his life but mostly it looks like he was caught up with the wrong bitch...

And not one F**k was given from this guy. Look at what all he did and look at what all he got away with. I for one do not give a damn.

^^ this. Guy was in and out of the system and basically a non contributing member of society. He's in a better place.

He wasnt a complete loser. The bad decisions he made put a spotlight on profiling and police brutality. A lot of changes were made in the way police handled themselves publicly thanks to what happened to him.

Legacy: The decison to speed from cops helped to make life better for people that were previously mistreated by bad cops for no reason. Now the cops are so worried about being recorded they do their job and nothing more.

Legacy: The decison to speed from cops helped to make life better for people that were previously mistreated by bad cops for no reason. Now the cops are so worried about being recorded they do their job and nothing more.

I wouldn't say he has a Legacy. IMO that implies he purposely did something to make the world a better place. All that happened and became exposed was simply a result of one of his many bad decisions in a life filled with crime.

I wouldn't say he has a Legacy. IMO that implies he purposely did something to make the world a better place. All that happened and became exposed was simply a result of one of his many bad decisions in a life filled with crime.

Many of people are survived by a legacy that was the result of a mistakes or accident. Just because x-rays were an accident doesnt mean that person doesnt have a legacy. Granted, his history is very simple, but that beating brought upon a big change. The people that recorded it, the jury that said the cops were justified, and the people that fought for the change have a bigger part in it.. but King still played a role. I agree that legacy may be too strong of a word, but I cant think of another one now. Actually I take that back... His drunk speeding ass made history by being an idiot. Now when I get pulled over Im not as scared :p That sounds better than legacy.

The bad decisions he made put a spotlight on profiling and police brutality.

Spotlight on brutality but IMO the profiling was spot on in his case and in many cases even today. And for anyone wanting to chime in, let the debate begin, but profiling doesn't mean looking just at blacks.

Actually I take that back... His drunk speeding ass made history by being an idiot.

Thank you for that correction :gabe:

Spotlight on brutality but IMO the profiling was spot on in his case and in many cases even today. And for anyone wanting to chime in, let the debate begin, but profiling doesn't mean looking just at blacks.

I remember you saying in another thread people should never give up their rights. By saying you support profiling you are saying you do in fact support giving up rights.. as long as its not yours.

Profiling is annoying and a waste of time in most situations. Occasionally it gives results... but is that one time worth the countless people harrassed? The cases will probably support it working but thats only because the innocent people profiled wont have cases or evidence it ever occurred. We all profile, but using it as an excuse to infringe on anothers right will never be acceptable.

-I dont sag my pants today because Im a thug. I do it because I gave a homeless guy my belt.

-Im driving around the ghetto in a nice car because I made it out and come back to help.. not because I deal drugs..

-The group of kids with me (wearing the same colors) are a sports team on their way to dinner, not a gang...

Edited by V8 Beast

I remember you saying in another thread people should never give up their rights. By saying you support profiling you are saying you do in fact support giving up rights.. as long as its not yours.

Profiling is annoying and a waste of time in most situations. Occasionally it gives results... but is that one time worth the countless people harrassed? The cases will probably support it working but thats only because the innocent people profiled wont have cases or evidence it ever occurred.

We all profile, but using it as an excuse to infringe on anothers right will never be acceptable.

I dont sag my pants today because Im a thug. I do it because I gave a homeless guy my belt. Im in the ghetto in a nice car because I made it out and come back to help.. not because I deal drugs.. The group of kids with me wearing the same colors are a sports team on the way to dinner, not a gang... get what Im saying?

your black?

Using common sense to keep and eye on those that again, common sense says be up to no good isn't infringing on their rights. If a cop has a choice to investigate further, I'd much rather have him make a call based on a profile than to work blind just because someone gets butt hurt easily.

Profiling is annoying and a waste of time in most situations. Occasionally it gives results... but is that one time worth the countless people harrassed?

I stand by the opinion that it works well and yes, I'll take a few people being butt hurt, including me if applicable, to crack down on the shit going on in society.

-I dont sag my pants today because Im a thug. I do it because I gave a homeless guy my belt.

-Im driving around the ghetto in a nice car because I made it out and come back to help.. not because I deal drugs..

-The group of kids with me (wearing the same colors) are a sports team on their way to dinner, not a gang...

Fun kidding examples. However, I sense you no the real deal when you see it.

Row One: I'm sure the cop on the left is just harrassing those guys to death without any probably cause. Perhaps he should shake down the guys on right for being a terrorist a suspected skin head and pedophile eh?

In the second row are just two examples of typical kids you'd find without worry walking in Macy's.

The last row is just typical NY. Nothing to worry about there eh? Just three business men you might see while there. I heard the first guy in row three is on CR. :gabe:

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/144135644/original.jpg

Using common sense to keep and eye on those that again, common sense says be up to no good isn't infringing on their rights. If a cop has a choice to investigate further, I'd much rather have him make a call based on a profile than to work blind just because someone gets butt hurt easily.

I stand by the opinion that it works well and yes, I'll take a few people being butt hurt, including me if applicable, to crack down on the shit going on in society.

Fun kidding examples. However, I sense you no the real deal when you see it.

I think the gap between our opinions are the actions taken as a result. I'm all for an officer using profiling as an initial observation to determine a possible threat level. I do it myself everyday. I'm not for that same officer asking to search a car simply because the driver has tattoos. I'm not for an officer pulling someone over (that's not doing anything wrong) because of how they look. Members here get profiled all the time and hate it. Just because we drive fast cars doesn't mean we street race. Its more likely because we have fast cars, but that doesn't give them the right to harass us just in case.

I'm all for an officer using profiling as an initial observation to determine a possible threat level. I do it myself everyday. I'm not for that same officer asking to search a car simply because the driver has tattoos.

An officer isn't likely trying to search a car just because a guy has tats. Has it happened, likely, any number of things go down every day, but on a regular basis, I doubt it. They aren't going to waste their time unless they think they can make a bust and have something better to go on than just tats.

I'm not for an officer pulling someone over (that's not doing anything wrong) because of how they look. Members here get profiled all the time and hate it. Just because we drive fast cars doesn't mean we street race. Its more likely because we have fast cars, but that doesn't give them the right to harass us just in case.
I can't speak for those situations however, I've seen quite a variety of cars driven by all kinds of guys/kids and in many cases there are reasons a cop is going to pull a car over in order to get a better look at what the situation has to offer. Again, I doubt they are pulling over CR Guys just without some type of cause. Loud exhaust, speeding, broken lights, etc. By your comments they could have a field day when people roll in or out of Cars and Coffee, but they don't.