Hyundai worth 60k?

Buck531

You obviously have never driven or own a Korean car. The only reason they are selling because of the 100k warranty. Most of them would fall apart before the warranty end. That's why you dont see older Korean cars running around.

Let's hope the current generation Korean cars fair better. Until then, I rather buy used proven brand vehicles than new Korean cars.

Exactly. Every car is nice when its brand new. Let's see how it is in 10 or 20 years. If its like any other Hyundai from the past, it will fall apart well before 150k miles.

Are their current cars better quality than the junk ass shitboxes they have always built? Only time will tell. One things for sure, I wouldn't spend 60k to find out.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously have never driven or own a Korean car.

I grew up in the car business. Parents had dealerships including a separate used car lot. I've seen plenty. I also own a 1997 Entourage with over 65k on the ODO. Bought 8 months old with 4k on the clock. 100k warranty and outside the dealer being a PIA, the car has been as solid if not better than our two previous Honda Oddessy's for $9,600 less. I really wanted to by another Honda but couldn't justify the cost outside it perhaps having a better resale. However, that's not guaranteed and I took my nearly $10k savings the day I took it home vs rolling the dice at the end.

The only reason they are selling because of the 100k warranty. Most of them would fall apart before the warranty end. That's why you dont see older Korean cars running around.
Actually you see a ton of older Hyundia elantra's and accents still running. Several here on CR even have had them and beat the shit out of them. Solid little cars. My neighbor has a 2008, never washes the damn thing and drives the piss out of it as a daily and it has been great for him.

Let's hope the current generation Korean cars fair better. Until then, I rather buy used proven brand vehicles than new Korean cars.
They are and Hyundia has put the warranty behind them to back it up. Even today, GM Hasn't kept up in that arena. Our van is 5yrs old and came with a 10yr/100k warranty on the power train and a 5/60k bumper to bumper. Most are 3/36. I don't even think Lexus gives that. IIRC they are 4/36.

You're right, time will tell, but our van is still solid and again, they have backed it up since before the others did.

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2007/reliability.html

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/sonata/2007/reliability.html

http://www.edmunds.com/honda/odyssey/2007/reliability.html?sub=minivan

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/entourage/2007/reliability.html?sub=minivan&ps=used

^^ looks pretty similar if not better for the Koreans.

Actually you see a ton of older Hyundia elantra's and accents still running. Several here on CR even have had them and beat the shit out of them. Solid little cars.

Seriously?

I would take the reliability/quality of a 1989 Cavalier over any Elantra/Accent that was 10 years newer. Dead serious.

Seriously?

I would take the reliability/quality of a 1989 Cavalier over any Elantra/Accent that was 10 years newer. Dead serious.

Not only would I say you're nuts, but so would some of the reviews.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/elantra/2009/reliability.html?sub=sedan

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1998&make=Chevrolet&model=Cavalier&trimid=145

I said '89, not '99. As far as that "review" is concerned, I don't think you can tell if a car as recent as 2009 is unreliable or not

I said '89, not '99. As far as that "review" is concerned, I don't think you can tell if a car as recent as 2009 is unreliable or not

My bad. 1999. Still stronger than a cavy. Not to mention the cavalier has had the worst fucking crash test results for years.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/elantra/1999/reliability.html

I'd Still think you're nuts.

Just personal preference from what I've heard and seen first hand. I know several people that have had the misfortune of owning accents and elantras back in the 90s. Yes that's a small sample size since there were a million that were made, but every single one I saw/drove/rode in/worked on/knew of was garbage. Even when they were fairly new. Were they all that bad? I'm sure not all of them, but it was enough to turn me off of hyundai forever. They didn't have one good quality other than fuel economy. The build quality was terrible, they were ugly and uncomfortable, no features, drove like crap, and fell apart at 100k.

If you go to a junkyard sometime, you'll notice that all the hyundais are generally newer and have less mileage than any other brand of car in the yard.

1. Hyundai is a newer brand than a lot of cars out there so it doesn't surprise me that a junkyard is filled with "newer" ones

2. Just because there is a Hyundai at a junkyard doesn't mean it's been "thrown away" because no one wanted it. Maybe it was totaled, maybe it was cheaper to buy another used one than fix.

I think Hyundai has come a long way in the past 2-3 years

Just personal preference from what I've heard and seen first hand. I know several people that have had the misfortune of owning accents and elantras back in the 90s. Yes that's a small sample size since there were a million that were made, but every single one I saw/drove/rode in/worked on/knew of was garbage. Even when they were fairly new. Were they all that bad? I'm sure not all of them, but it was enough to turn me off of hyundai forever. They didn't have one good quality other than fuel economy. The build quality was terrible, they were ugly and uncomfortable, no features, drove like crap, and fell apart at 100k.

If you go to a junkyard sometime, you'll notice that all the hyundais are generally newer and have less mileage than any other brand of car in the yard.

This. I have a few friends who had bought a few newer hyundais/kia's and regreted it. Most ended up with some sort of electrical problems, others had transmissions dying.

They didn't have one good quality other than fuel economy. The build quality was terrible, they were ugly and uncomfortable, no features, drove like crap, and fell apart at 100k.

Sounds like a large number of American cars over the past two decades.....less the great gas mileage portion.

This. I have a few friends who had bought a few newer hyundais/kia's and regreted it. Most ended up with some sort of electrical problems, others had transmissions dying.

Similar to the issues the Grand Prix's have faced with thier transmissions or Honda with their 5spd issues? How about the cooling system sludge issues GM had with their 100k coolent? Have they ever fixed their steering rack issues from back in the 90's? Is the Northstar Engine or the new 3.6l tops in their class for reliability? Didn't they ditch the bullet proof 3.8l vs Nissan who's VQ still lives on strong?

We could trade stories all day.

The same could be said for automatic equipped F bodies or anything with 300+ HP and a 4160E. Even M6 F bodies have thier share of problems. I know I have put several in mine. I like this new Equus. I saw one on the road and had to google it at a light. I was even more impressed that it was a Hyundai. If I were looking to spend 60K on a car I personally would not get that car. I'm more for American cars. I'd be more inclined to get a Cadillac(they NEVER have problems[sarcasm]). But that's just how I am. We all have our own preferences.

Some Hyundai parts are an upgrade for my Summit. That being said I still would'nt spend 60k on one. This is like the BRZ/FR-S discussion. You can't force people to like them. Give this new generation of Kias and Hyundais a few years of use on the road. I don't think they will hold resale nearly as well, and the cheap parts used to make them cheaply won't hold up. Edited by Patterson

Sounds like a large number of American cars over the past two decades.....less the great gas mileage portion.

Similar to the issues the Grand Prix's have faced with thier transmissions or Honda with their 5spd issues? How about the cooling system sludge issues GM had with their 100k coolent? Have they ever fixed their steering rack issues from back in the 90's? Is the Northstar Engine or the new 3.6l tops in their class for reliability? Didn't they ditch the bullet proof 3.8l vs Nissan who's VQ still lives on strong?

We could trade stories all day.

All of these are very good strong points that agree with. I don't think there is any manufacturer that doesn't have a list of "wish we never made this". I know my Pontiac has several problems that they all have and yet I still love owning it. I think if you truely enjoy owning, driving or being driven in any given car you can over look a certain amount of given problems.

I think if you truely enjoy owning, driving or being driven in any given car you can over look a certain amount of given problems.

Well said. I think Hyundai has done a fantastic job at overcoming the early on sigma's that they had early on. Just as Honda and many of the Japanese imports have done in terms of once being seen as just economy minded cars to what they are today which is more luxery/sport than economy.

Not many here were driving when Acura launched in the US. I remember those days well. How dare an import take a shot at luxury and sport at the same time. How about Lexus...I would imagine a handful here were still crapping their pants when they launched too.

The main difference is Acura and Lexus spawned from their lessor lines of cars whereas Hyundai decided to brand them all the same. I think what they have done that the others didn't is greatly accelerate the process. Jones hit that on the head earlier in this thread.

The 6th Gen Sonata is way, way better than the 6th gen Accord ever was. I owned a 7th gen accord and the 6th gen Sonata kills it. In fact, today, the 8th generation Accord faces serious competition when compared to the Sonata today. IMO, the Koreans have a way nicer styled and in touch with consumer car than Honda.

Or be like most any Audi owner and ditch the car as soon as the warranty is expired!!

I drove a Genesis coupe, 3.8 track model last summer. It was a nice car to drive, handling was there, good power, etc, but they are still really lacking in the interior dept. The plastic felt as cheap as it looked and there was nothing inside that seemed to be of any real quality.

Having been at the Detroit Auto show this year I sat in a new Equus after having been in an S-Class, though it was impressive for a Hyundai it still didn't hold a candle to the Benz, or BMW, or Lexus. Hyundai has no doubt made great progress but they still have a long way to go as reputations take a long time to build and theirs didn't get off on the right foot.

Having been at the Detroit Auto show this year I sat in a new Equus after having been in an S-Class, though it was impressive for a Hyundai it still didn't hold a candle to the Benz, or BMW, or Lexus. Hyundai has no doubt made great progress but they still have a long way to go as reputations take a long time to build and theirs didn't get off on the right foot.

I agree with your comments. The key to remember with Hyundai is that their cars aren't dead equals the likes of what the media and the public put it up against. What they are is that it's a way better value when that comparison is done.

I've driven my friends Genesis R-Spec and it's a damn nice car. Especaily when you compare it to what an MKS or 5 Series or even a MBZ350 Sedan brings to table. He bought his 2012 with under 5k on the ODO for just over $40k when compatible BMW was a year older, had way more miles and cost $10k more.

Or be like most any Audi owner and ditch the car as soon as the warranty is expired!!

I drove a Genesis coupe, 3.8 track model last summer. It was a nice car to drive, handling was there, good power, etc, but they are still really lacking in the interior dept. The plastic felt as cheap as it looked and there was nothing inside that seemed to be of any real quality.

All this thread needed: Someone who has sat in one and its competition.

Thank you,

PS Equus fail

All this thread needed: Someone who has sat in one and its competition.

Yeah because the Genesis coupe cries out poor styling and quality appearance against it's competition in the 370Z :gtfo:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q1/436122/2013-hyundai-genesis-coupe-interior-photo-436188-s-1280x782.jpg

http://autosapparel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2013-Nissan-370Z-Interior.jpg

http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2013-Hyundai-Genesis-Coupe-Interior.jpg

Edited by TTQ B4U

I'll take the Equus over the Acura RL, but will pick the Lexus LS over the Equus; despite the much higher price for the LS.

Hyundai and KIA have gone a long way from what they were in the 1990s. Don't buy anything older than a '10 model. Honda even considers them as major competitors and has been buying and dissecting their cars for the last few years.

Ignorance is abound in this thread.