Many, many, many thanks.... (and Pictures)

Casper

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shin splints aren't caused by hard surfaces. Mostly you get them because your using muscles and connective tissues that are being over taxed. So if you aren't a regular runner you'll get them. It's a good way to tell the bullshitters from those that exercise regularly on their feet (running, jumping, sprinting...) I always get them if i take a long time off from workouts (6+ months), but they go away after getting back into the swing of things.

There is one other type of shin splint that I know of (but can't remember what it's called) and it can be a serious medical condition requiring surgery even. Most don't have that.

Not necessarily true. I've been to several people for my legs/shin splints...I get them ALL the time. If you read in the medical literature they are multi-factorial. Mine are mainly from me getting bronchitis and it took me out for 6 weeks from training. I went from running 10 to 12 miles a week to 25 miles a week...went up WAY too quickly. ALSO, I pronate when I walk/run and although I had 2 good pair of running shoes I needed more support for my ankles. I'm at the gym 4 to 6 days a week depending on how much cross training I do in b/t runs.....I wouldn't call that being out of shape. The sports med docs/orthopods I've spoken to at work have several athletes that are simply more prone to getting the shin splints. Rest (3 to 6 weeks) and ice are really the only cure to prevent subsequent fractures. ;)

And ask any marathon runner.....your/their first training session prior to either a half/full marathon tore up their bodies. I'll be fine for my next half in October. I'm just gonna have to grin and bear it for this race. Plus, I'm running with three other attendings in my practice and 2 of them are somewhat out of shape so I'm sure I'll be running 10 minute miles the whole way. :rolleyes:

Nike SHOX are a more everyday shoe, NOT a good running shoe. Check out endurance sports on wilminton sometime. The guy that works there will steer you in the right direction.

Ya I had one pair of shox and gave them to my mom for every day wear. They give absolutely NO support for ankles. I went to front runner in upper arlington and found the staff to be extremely educated. The majority are marathon veterans.

Not necessarily true. I've been to several people for my legs/shin splints...I get them ALL the time. If you read in the medical literature they are multi-factorial. Mine are mainly from me getting bronchitis and it took me out for 6 weeks from training. I went from running 10 to 12 miles a week to 25 miles a week...went up WAY too quickly. ALSO, I pronate when I walk/run and although I had 2 good pair of running shoes I needed more support for my ankles. I'm at the gym 4 to 6 days a week depending on how much cross training I do in b/t runs.....I wouldn't call that being out of shape. The sports med docs/orthopods I've spoken to at work have several athletes that are simply more prone to getting the shin splints. Rest (3 to 6 weeks) and ice are really the only cure to prevent subsequent fractures. ;)

And ask any marathon runner.....your/their first training session prior to either a half/full marathon tore up their bodies. I'll be fine for my next half in October. I'm just gonna have to grin and bear it for this race. Plus, I'm running with three other attendings in my practice and 2 of them are somewhat out of shape so I'm sure I'll be running 10 minute miles the whole way. :rolleyes:

Never said they weren't multi-factorial. We were talking about the common causes of shin splints for MOST people. Of course there are people that will suffer more often even when running regularly due to things like overpronation.

It only takes me about 2 weeks to get over my shin splints. I have a friend that would take almost 2 months of running regularly before they would subside. Neither one of use suffered any actual bone fractures, mostly just tendon irritation.