Getting car out of state

Rocky31186

PA tags are fine in Ohio, then just get the plates when you get back. I actually got pulled over in Pickerington because my PA tags fell off after a car wash and they told me just to go home and don't drive it until I get the tags.

Dont you have to get an Ohio inspection before being able to transfer the title over?

Dont you have to get an Ohio inspection before being able to transfer the title over?

I had too, i bought a car in nc and it had to be inspected before the ohio dmv would get my plates. I think most dealers can do it for around 10 bucks and they give the yellow cert paper for the dmv

This is a private seller, not a dealer.

So If I go to pick it up, it has to be during BMV hours in KY..

Get my 30 day tags and notorize the title.

Come to columbus and get a ohio inspection done, and get metal plates.

Seems like a hassle..

Ohio inspection is a joke. When I bought a car from Indiana the inspection consisted of comparing the VIN on the dash to the VIN on the title. Nothing more.

Exactly what is done.

This is a private seller, not a dealer.

So If I go to pick it up, it has to be during BMV hours in KY..

Get my 30 day tags and notorize the title.

Come to columbus and get a ohio inspection done, get title and get metal plates.

Seems like a hassle..

Exactly how you do it. (Except KY may not notarize titles. I know MI doesn't. The OH BMV goes by the procedure of the state it was purchased in. I bought one in MI, brought in an un-notarized title and walked out with a title and plates.)

Should I have him meet me in ohio, so I can get it all done in ohio?

Should I have him leave the tags on it to get me to ohio so I dont have to buy 30 day tags?

Or should I just throw a set of tags on it and drive it home

I just put any plate on the car and drive it home with paperwork in hand showing you just bought it. You will have to get an inspection, can be done at most dealers or the Lic plate agency for about $3.50, I then get a temp tag if I cannot get the title transfer done right away or I do it all at once. The closest Title and lic agency to one another is at Morse and Karl
  • Upvote 1

I just put any plate on the car and drive it home with paperwork in hand showing you just bought it. You will have to get an inspection, can be done at most dealers or the Lic plate agency for about $3.50, I then get a temp tag if I cannot get the title transfer done right away or I do it all at once. The closest Title and lic agency to one another is at Morse and Karl

Thanks, thats probably what I will do.

Ohio inspection is a joke. When I bought a car from Indiana the inspection consisted of comparing the VIN on the dash to the VIN on the title. Nothing more.

Correct. I forgot about the "inspection" they simply walked out and compared the VIN's.

I would second just taking an Ohio plate and using it because you have 30 days I believe to change a tag over.

You'll have to have the dude from PA have the title notarized by an agency there. I just did this in May with the wife's Buick. I drove there, paid $60 for temp tags there, had the title signed over, and threw the tag on the car and drove it home. I had 30 days to hit up the BMV here.. I went a few days late and gave him the title and such. 30 days later I paid $4 for new tags and that was it.

Should I have him meet me in ohio, so I can get it all done in ohio?

Should I have him leave the tags on it to get me to ohio so I dont have to buy 30 day tags?

Or should I just throw a set of tags on it and drive it home

DO NOT DO THIS! Fictitious tags (M4) are a bigger penalty then no tags (Minor Misdemeaner).