Fiction Books

KillJoy

I am looking for some new books to read. I have read several of Michael Crichton books, and have enjoyed them, and am looking for something else to try.

I have never been an avid reader, however, it is growing on me! :D

What do you read and what would you recommend?

KillJoy

I think these two are outstanding, but I'm biased. I highly recommend them. Both are available as ebooks. A number of CR members have read the first one and said it's good.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1484285&postcount=4

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103431

Like Sci-Fi? Get to the roots of science fiction with some classics:

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson

Cyberpunk dystopia story dealing with a lot of sci-fi topics.

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card

Read this when I was a teenager and loved it, but its more for teens I think. I'd compare it to a sci-fi Catcher in the Rye (which I hated).

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by P.K. Dick

The protagonist's name is Rick Deckard. Sound familiar? This book was the basis for Blade Runner.

Honorable Mentions: "A Scanner Darkly" is also a story you might be familiar with the Hollywoodized version of.

"Slaughterhouse-V" by Kurt Vonnegut

This is just one of the best books ever and you must read it.

"Ralph 124C 41+" by Hugo Gernsback

Very old story, kinda crappy but it predicts a HUGE number of modern inventions when it was written in WWI-era. Supposed to indicate "Ralph one to forsee for many (1+ = many)"

If you're a fan of racing, and/or have ever met Tommy Byrne at Mid-Ohio, read his autobiography "Crashed and Byrned". Its hilarious as it is depressing at times, but in short its about a stupid, stubborn Irishman who competed with Ayrton Senna to drive Ron Dennis' car at one point in his career, and the hilarious idiocy that comes with being a bottom-level racer with incredible skill.

Try Brad Thor or Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp). Both are about counter terrorism spies. Both are bad ass.

Jack Reacher character by Lee Child is also a bad ass.

Or try Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme books. They are about a quadriplegic CSI guy who has helps the police and FBI solve crimes. If you saw the movie Bone Collector, that is made from one of the books.

I've read all of Thor's, Flynn's, Child and Deaver's books. All are well written and very hard to put down. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Edited by CementHead

Anything by Jeffrey Deaver. My favorite if his is The Blue Nowhere.

If you want a classic try The Sea Wolf by Jack London.

I Recently read Killer Elite by Michael Smith. It's about the history of special forces and talkes about several of the missions in the middle east.

If you want to laugh, Drew Cary, Tim Allen and Larry the Cable Guy all have books out. They are worth a read -once. Enjoy.

anything by dean koontz

i like the 'jack reacher' series (16 books) by lee rise. think of jason bourne--just a big bigger and more badass, if that's possible

i actually enjoyed the halo series of books, based on the popular video game. there's about 10-12 books out now, but if you read the trilogy, you won't be disappointed--especially if you've played the game

"the bricklayer" was another book i've read recently

anything by brett easton ellis

If you like mystery/crime novels, try John D. MacDonald's "Travis McGee" books, starting with The Deep Blue Good-bye. Or Donald Westlake's "Dortmunder" series, starting with The Hot Rock.

Sci-fi/fantasy: David Drakes "RCN" series, starting with With the Lightnings. His "Hammers Slammers" books are good too. Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" novels...possibly some of the funniest and most insightful stuff ever written, especially the Vimes books. You'll laugh your butt off, then you'll REALLY get the jokes, and cry because you no longer have buttocks to laugh off.

Fuck Steven King though, he turned hack after Christine and Cujo...

House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski if you like horror that is genuinely scary.

Survivor, Chuck Palahniuk.

Neuromancer, as previously suggested, is a classic.

Blood Meridian, Cormac Mccarthy.

Its a non-fiction book, but its one of the best I've ever read;

"Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story" by Chuck Klosterman. The dude has written for Esquire, GQ, Spin (senior writer), ESPN, Grantland, and he's probably one of the best writers of this generation. His other books, fiction and non, are all great but this is the one that I read first. It's hard to make a synopsis without sounding confusing, anyone else read it that can back me up on its awesomeness?

Might be a hefty recommendation now, but if you really get into reading pick up Infinite Jest. You'll learn a crapton of random stuff and it is entertaining at the same time. The read itself is across the spectrum of fiction.

Really, No GoT?

George R.R. Martin Fire and Ice books.

I'm working on them now. On the second book. Reading them diminishes the TV series, but that isn't a bad thing.

Blood Meridian, Cormac Mccarthy.

I would estimate roughly 1% of the people on this board could read that book beginning to end. Excellent read though, if you can make it past the beginning. :)

It may be the best book I've ever read.

I used to be avid reader when I was younger, but have been away from it for a while. I too just recently started reading very many books.

Anything on http://www.craphound.com (mostly free eBooks).

I also recently read Revelation Space (Alastair Reynolds) and I, Robot (Iasca Asimov).

I would recommend any of these.

Next on the list, in no particular order, will be Asimov's The Foundation Trilogy, some more of the Revelation space series, and Dune.

For scifi, some of my favorites are:

Enders Game

Neuromancer

The Paratwa series by Christopher Hinz starts with the book called Liege Killer

For modern fiction I read everything I could find from Dale Brown and Tom Clancy

If you're looking for more fantasy fiction an interesting series is the Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony. The premise of the series is that the incarnations (death, war, fate, nature, etc...) are all just normal people who have been pulled into extraordinary jobs, like collecting and judging souls from the dieing. That series starts with On a Pale Horse.

I would estimate roughly 1% of the people on this board could read that book beginning to end. Excellent read though, if you can make it past the beginning. :)

It may be the best book I've ever read.

Haha, it was a tough one, but easily my favorite McCarthy novel. House of Leaves is also a difficult read but for entirely different reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
anything by dean koontz

i like the 'jack reacher' series (16 books) by lee rise. think of jason bourne--just a big bigger and more badass, if that's possible

i actually enjoyed the halo series of books, based on the popular video game. there's about 10-12 books out now, but if you read the trilogy, you won't be disappointed--especially if you've played the game

"the bricklayer" was another book i've read recently

anything by brett easton ellis

Since the Misses just got a Kindle for her B-Day. I just purchased Jack #1.

KillJoy