Whole house generator: whose had one installed

mrs.cos

I installed a Generac 14KW with full auto transferswitch and natural gas hookup earlier this year. It wasn't cheap, but it powers everything; the well pump, sump, AC, lights, TVs, computer, garage, fridge, etc. When the power goes out, it starts up and restores power within 20 seconds. I've run it for nearly 72 hours in two seperate events already this year without fail. It has saved me quite a bundle in ruined food and hotel fees!

I also installed a Generac 20KW with full auto transfer switch and natural gas hookup at my home and it is awesome. When we loose power, it kicks on and we are back in business! It supplies the exact same amount of power as the power company so we are not restricted from using anything in the house. AEP supplies 200amps to a residental house. Thats 20Kw... You can order a 20kw generator from http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/ for about 4500.00 shipped and that includes the transfer switch. All you need to do is get it hooked up which should run you between 600-900... for the electric and gas hook up. Then you are worry free! 14kw generators run about $3500 but then you have to deal with splitting up your circuit box to balance the load for the outages. Cheaper but more labor to hook up.

If you want to go cheaper with a gas generator, the best and easiest way to do it is with the Generlink transfer collar. They run around $550 and aep will come out and install it for $50. It installs between the glass meter and the house like a collar. you then cart your generator to your new generlink collar and plug your 220 volt cord into it. your house then has power but you will have to turn off high power consuming circuits to prevent overloading whatever size generator you have connected to the house.The generlink prevents feedback to AEP's lines so it is safe....