Apaches > Taliban

Nate1647545505

I was laughing at the beginning that after they mowed down 18 of 20ish, the last few kept trying to slide away. I would think one of them would pretend to play dead for a few hours and then run like hell.

I gather "sparkle" is some kind of laser targeting system that ground troops can use to show those in the air a target without themselves being seen. A modern flair.

But I'm a 4N in the Air Force, so correct me if I'm wrong!

I gather "sparkle" is some kind of laser targeting system that ground troops can use to show those in the air a target without themselves being seen. A modern flair.

But I'm a 4N in the Air Force, so correct me if I'm wrong!

I can't say for certain but I remember hearing the term when our TAC-P's were talking about a referenced target that was painted by a UAV for SOFLAM. In that context, it was a confirmation that the target had been painted and joint force systems (air & ground) were picking up the painted mark.

How far away are the Apaches in this type of situation? Are the taliban on the ground even aware of the helicopter engaged? Just seems like they are running with no idea where the rounds are coming from.

Keep in mind, 99.99998% of the time we work in the dark. When they start an orbit blacked out, hard to really pinpoint where they are. If the apache's FLIR/TADS are anything like the drones`, the range finder is in the lower right and pops in and out (1200-1400m ranges) -- so -- depending on their orbit radius and alt, could be anywhere from 1500-3000ft. Despite being tough as a SOB, sadly, that still puts them in range of anti-air.

***disclaimer, I've held an EWO role, not avaiation.

I was laughing at the beginning that after they mowed down 18 of 20ish, the last few kept trying to slide away. I would think one of them would pretend to play dead for a few hours and then run like hell.

I would've hid under a donkey.

Or preemptively, I would've worn a donkey or camel suit.