Buy new spring vs. Re-weld spring eye

zeitgeist57

Over the weekend, I worked to lower the rear end of Cleetus by "flipping" the front hanger on the rear leaf springs. This involves grinding off the 4 rivets fastening the hangers to the frame on each side, rotating the hanger 180* upside down, locating the hangers back to the frame with 2 holes that match up and drill 2 new holes for the entire assembly to be bolted back on.

It was a bear X-cutting and air-hammering the heads of the rivets off, and unfortunately the rear eye loops apparently are broken in half! I never heard anything break, and the springs still support the rear end just fine. Just a very bizarre break....not sure how long this has been...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=6413

EDIT: Note that this is taken from behind the axle, and you can see the spoon-shaped springs where they used to be a loop around the bushing...still bolted to the shackle above.

Equally as shocking is the price for new leaf spring packs. Looks like before shipping, new springs will be over $300 a pair. Realizing this, I want to just reweld the spring eyes. Harbor Freight has a decent flux/MIG welder for sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/170-amp-migflux-wire-welder-68885.html

Any thoughts? I'd rather reweld the spring eye and have a welder to finish body mods - as well as having a welder now for future projects! - rather than shelling out hard money for new parts on a cheap truck...

Edited by zeitgeist57
Pics added.

Seeing as its spring steel and you want to affect the metal with heat and then not be able to return it to its temporing it will break right next to the weld. Add to it flux core is the last kind of welder you'd want to buy.

I had a harbor freight welder and it was garbage. There's a website out there dedicated to making the HF welders "ok" machines but most people don't recommend buying them unless it's for junk welds that aren't important.

If It were ME...

I would go ahead and buy new springs.. IF you get junkyard springs, you will probably be in the same spot down the road with them broken, and if they break more they will cause the axle to twist and you wreck.

I thought you were just doing a axle flip, and putting the axle on top of the leaf spring?

If It were ME...

I would go ahead and buy new springs.. IF you get junkyard springs, you will probably be in the same spot down the road with them broken, and if they break more they will cause the axle to twist and you wreck.

I thought you were just doing a axle flip, and putting the axle on top of the leaf spring?

Before the spring broke (and I popped off the hangers), the hanger-flip would be easier...no need to break old U-bolts like an axle flip. Plus, most Ford guys say axle-flips require a C-notch in the frame...

Anywho...the hangar flip was the cheaper option. Still is, even with $200 in new springs...

Yeah I don't know about the older fords but my ram rear flip kit wasn't even 100$. Just had new u bolts and a new perch.

I would just buy new springs, but know with new springs it's going to lift the back until the settle. So even if your lowering it 2-3". It's only going to drop it maybe an inch.

But I know you talked about hauling stuff in the bed, so new springs would be good for that.