Canon 5D Mark III or the Canon 1DX

NitrousSam

I have been kicking around the idea of acquiring another Canon DSLR for my real estate business. The Canon 5D Mark III is a nice upgrade over the 5D Mark II especially because of the enhanced focusing and camera card options. The Mark III seems like the more practical choice for real estate over the 1DX. However, I have heard that the video feature and processors in the 1DX make it much better at processing true HD video. Can anyone with actual experience on these cameras comment.

I have been kicking around the idea of acquiring another Canon DSLR for my real estate business. The Canon 5D Mark III is a nice upgrade over the 5D Mark II especially because of the enhanced focusing and camera card options. The Mark III seems like the more practical choice for real estate over the 1DX. However, I have heard that the video feature and processors in the 1DX make it much better at processing true HD video. Can anyone with actual experience on these cameras comment.

What do you plan on using it for? ....list the top 3 things.

What are you coming from?

You likely know I'm a huge Canon fan and own a 1D series (older MKII), a 5DMKII and a 40D.

I've looked and handled both the above and will say they are great units. Seeing as your needs are for real estate purposes you will definitely enjoy working with them. That said, I will advise while both have video capabilities, I wouldn't count on even the MKIII replacing a dedicated video camera for all around use.

The MKIII 1080p and the new processing engine helps the shutter roll issues that at least I notice on the MKII, but they are still there. The key is to pan slowly and if you shoot sports, shoot from the corners were zooming trumps panning. Your limited to mono sound and it does tend to pick up IS movement within lenses. I won't beat a dead horse, should work fine for filming homes, where music or no sound may be used.

We could talk about the 1Dx all day, but unless you're shooting sports professionally, you probably could better spend the $3,500 difference in price on glass.

If could justify the purchase, I'd jump on the 5DMKIII.

I do know of at least one film company (they do a lot of documentaries ie history channel) that switched to 5Dmk II's as their main video cameras.

I use a 5Dmk II and personally wouldn't use it for video either, but I'm in no way a video expert or even hobbyist and have only used the video mode a few times playing around.

You mentioned that you want to use it for your real estate business. If thats the case then the 5Dmk III is full frame vs 1D's aren't unless you get the full frame model which is $$$. For that type of photography I'd think full frame would be all that is necessary and if you have a 5Dmk II now I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you just have money to throw away. If you do have money to burn I'd get some tilt-shift lenses which would make your building shots look much better.

Tim - Thanks! I currently have a Canon 40D with a 10-22 lens and a Speedlite EX430. My current setup can only capture 16 mm wide and if I go with the 14 mm on the full frame it is obviously wider and with the full frame sensor the 5D Mark III and the 1DX will do much better in lower light settings. The advanced HD video is a feature that is exciting because shooting videos of the interiors of homes will capture so much more of the room than with the video camera I am currently using. The lack of audio is not really an issue because we can record the audio using Final Cut.

Tractor - I am leaning towards the 5D Mark III because it is half the price of the 1DX and I don't need the rapid fire shooting feature like sports photographers need. The other reason is that I can buy the 14 mm lens and the new flash and still have less in a turn key 5D Mark III than I would have in just the 1DX body.

Tim - Thanks! I currently have a Canon 40D with a 10-22 lens and a Speedlite EX430. My current setup can only capture 16 mm wide and if I go with the 14 mm on the full frame it is obviously wider and with the full frame sensor the 5D Mark III and the 1DX will do much better in lower light settings. The advanced HD video is a feature that is exciting because shooting videos of the interiors of homes will capture so much more of the room than with the video camera I am currently using. The lack of audio is not really an issue because we can record the audio using Final Cut.

Gotcha. The 14mm 2.8 L inside will give you a slight distortion on the edges that will need cropped. I've even used a fish-eye and power tools to pull back the lines. http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/132584999/original.jpg

I like the 16-35mm L. I think Evan aka Tractor shoots with it. It will be good for indoors and outside. Depending on the results you've had, I might also suggest some more lighting.

Is low lighting and noise an issue for you with the 40D? I easily push it to 6,400 without problems. Especially for MLS listings where pics aren't huge. Just curious.

Tim, Thanks! The 14mm 2.8L will be the primary lens and we will have to do a little post editing but am guessing it will be far less than we are doing currently with the 10-22. I am hopeful the full frame will help us capture slightly better interior images especially in lower light rooms. Thanks again!

Yeah I have the 16-35L II, awesome lens but on a full frame you do get some barrel distortion at 16mm. Its not as much as the Mark I and easy for lightroom to auto correct using the lens profile.

Personally if your just shooting indoor/outdoor shots of houses I'd save even more money and get the 5D Mk II. It will be a huge improvement over the 40D (I have one of those too so I know) and the 5D Mk III isn't all that different over the Mk II except for price. You could possibly get an awesome deal on it using the canon trade in program to swap your 40D. Then use the rest of the money for really good glass which is going to make a much bigger difference in photo/video quality.

I am hopeful the full frame will help us capture slightly better interior images especially in lower light rooms. Thanks again!

The full frame won't effect low light rooms, but faster glass and higher ISO capabilities will.

If I were doing interior shots I'd pickup a couple cyber sync triggers and use an off camera flash to get the light where and how I want it.

The full frame won't effect low light rooms, but faster glass and higher ISO capabilities will.

If I were doing interior shots I'd pickup a couple cyber sync triggers and use an off camera flash to get the light where and how I want it.

I think what he was alluding to was a better quality camera handling low light situations better, but yah, why not put some money into lighting and faster glass and wireless trigger setup?

The mkii is pretty good in lowlight as is....I agree about buying the ii over the iii.

Can't you fix the distortion in Lightroom with lens profiles.

Also you can get a nice Rode mic if your going to shoot video with sound. I'll look and see what model I have in a sec. I remember a few seasons back on House MD they shot an entire episode (season finale) with the Mark II.