Lettuce tawk Wrangler Rubicon

zeitgeist57

Looking at a yella 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Tasteful/quality appearance and stereo upgrades. Just under 60k miles. Any major problems to look for aside from the obvious body damage from hard wheeling and rust? Not likely buying, but piqued my interest (and my daughter too!)

Did this year Rubicon come with Dana 44s front and rear?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many car threads are you going to make before you actually buy a car?

:gabe:

AS MANY AS I FUCKING WANT

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IOshTJjLI3k/T3iifbhMYAI/AAAAAAAACVQ/ijR-z1COSJw/s1600/questions+answered+here+even+the+silly+ones+readerboard+lol+funny.jpg

It's a short list: Jeep Wrangler, Factory Five Cobra, Cadillac CTS-V...looking for the right opportunity.

Clay, no offense, but the Rubicon is a factory off-road beast. It is completely overkill for someone who is not intending to use the setup on a regular basis. If that is what you want to do, then go for it. Otherwise, save some pennies and go with a regular 4.0 Wrangler.

That statement aside, watch for rust! Jeeps all rust in pretty much the same spots (fenders, windshield frame, tub), but I have noticed that TJs have a spot just above or below the taillights that pops up occasionally. The paint bubbling on all of the hinges is common if you spot that. The 4.0s produced on and after 2000 have a cylinder head casting number of "0331". It is not entirely uncommon for these heads to crack between cylinders 2, 3, or 4. Symptoms usually start with a mystery loss of coolant with no leaks. Not all of them crack, so don't be discouraged. Though, both my old XJ and my current TJ had cracked heads. Done correctly, the replacement cost is ~$600. It can be done for cheaper though. I can go more into that detail later if you absolutely need. Check the floor pans for rust or rot. The death wobble that Jones describes is absolutely NOT normal. It is common(ish), but there are a number of different things that can cause it. Regardless, it should be fixed. If you have any more questions then feel free to ask me. I have been a Jeep enthusiast for over twelve years now.

I know you likely will not buy the Jeep, but there ya go anyway.

I think the 06's had ball joint issues. I test drove two for sale (an 06 and 07) and the steering in both of them felt like I was going to die if I went any faster than 35mph. It was like driving a military vehicle that had hit an IED last week and hadn't been repaired yet.

Skip the LJ's and buy a JK. You'll thank me later.

Personally, you'll always combat suspension issues if you don't correct them with quality parts (Example Moog ball joints etc) I love the LJ's, but you can probably score an Unlimited JK for the same ball park. If you do pull the trigger let me know, I do it on a daily basis.

I think the 06's had ball joint issues. I test drove two for sale (an 06 and 07) and the steering in both of them felt like I was going to die if I went any faster than 35mph. It was like driving a military vehicle that had hit an IED last week and hadn't been repaired yet.

It's a jeep thing... You wouldn't understand. :gabe:

Please don't put the wrangler in that grouping of cars.

Don't buy any vehicle where death wobble is a common thing to watch out for.

:no:

hey look, a problem that can affect any vehicle with a solid front axle happens on the most popular line of solid front axle vehicles sold

:dumb:

Its a jeep, no way around that and if your other choices are cobra and cadillac I'm not sure you've spent enough quality time in a jeep. They are built very simply and with a certain type of person in mind that doesn't mind the noise, hot/cold weather, very bad ride compared to any sedan or other "car" type vehicle and most trucks these days.

If your planning to do some trails, beach driving, or something similar then a jeep would be awesome, but then remember you'll have to do maintenance and if trail riding you will break things eventually and wreck the body.

I have a CTS-v and 4 door Wrangler. As a daily driver I like the Wrangler as it is a truck and less likely to get door dings and other stuff. Get the JK and if possible one with the Pentastar engine as it is a major improvement.

Please don't put the wrangler in that grouping of cars.

Don't buy any vehicle where death wobble is a common thing to watch out for.

:no:

I'm a Jeep guy and I agree that it doesn't fit in that line up.

As others stated, a Jeep is a Jeep. It's not a cadillac (duh). The ride, the perks, the fun...it's different. The Coba and Caddy will def be more comfortable but for me I prefer a good year aroun vehicle that I don't have to sweat dinging or getting some road salt on. The maintenance and upkeep is far more affordable.

My 96 XJ was lifted, death wobble corrected properly, and I regret ever selling it. I'd love to get another Jeep. Someday...

I LOVE the Rubicon, but if you're not really going to make use of the lockers and SB disconnects by off-roading the shit out of it, don't waste your money. They are newer than my Cherokee but basically no nicer inside and the ride quality is about the same. AWESOME off-road but not great for commuting unless you like that sorta thing.

I say, if it's purely for enjoyment, go Cobra. If you need to DD it, CTSV for sure.

Maybe, but live axles with real locking diffs and electronic swaybar disconnects go a very long way in serious off road situations.

Wish I would have had them when I was off-roading my 06. :dumb:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af40/ted_kennedy/jeep1.gif

Wish I would have had them when I was off-roading my 06. :dumb:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af40/ted_kennedy/jeep1.gif

Well, technique counts for something too, in the absence of lockers.

I realize Snake Plisken goes balls deep every time though, so I get it.

:gabe: