Aaron Brown of Middletown Cycle...

FocusDave01

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they don't. You shouldn't have to talk to the owner to get anything done. According to your first post in your other thread you called them and they weren't willing to help. A business is the sum of its parts not just the head of it.The fact that it took all this just to get them to look at it is ridiculous.

+1 again- i agree ten fold..damage is just starting for middletowne cycles :beathorse:

for the sake of focusdave, we should keep this thread clear of crap talk about middletown... if they keep their promise and take care of it, we dont have reason to talk crap about them (other than taking a bit of convincing to do the right thing)

if they don't, let the flame fest begin.

but til then, dave is still basically at their mercy, so we should help him as much as possible.

for the sake of focusdave, we should keep this thread clear of crap talk about middletown... if they keep their promise and take care of it, we dont have reason to talk crap about them (other than taking a bit of convincing to do the right thing)

but til then, dave is still basically at their mercy, so we should help him as much as possible.

thanks jbot, and i appretiate you all watching my back for me. like i said earlier i just want my bike to work and be fixed, and after meeting with aaron i feel they have shown me a side i havent seen in a dealer in a long time. its nice to know tho people got your back and i would love to show everyone that middletown is a good dealer by them making this right for me!

I agree with that.. what was said is not for this post. good luck buddy but word of advice dont trust so easily.

so when they take a trade in they dont test run it?

seems like if i took your bike down the road for a few miles i would notice the smoke billowing out from the exhaust, no?

..if they honestly didnt know, they should have been covered it cause it was their fault they didnt throughly examine the bike prior to the sale. so it takes numerous emails and post bashing them to try to correct the mistake?. it should have been dealt with right off the bat in my opinion. :guitar:

It obviously didn't occur right away with the OP. They test rode it and I am sure they went through it. A lot of dealers take in trades and go through the stuff, but they don't do leak down checks and they don't do things like compression checks if everything runs fine and works good. Thus, the "as-is" statement... If they went through the motor with a fine tooth comb, they'd offer a warranty.

bottom line its gonna all get taken care of, middletown did the right thing and so did i by going and talking with aaron he is a great guy if you sit down with him. it would be awsome if he took care of this stuff and we held a bike show at his shop or something..

I've had good experiences and bad experiences with lots of dealers, sometimes a good one will drop the ball, and other times, dropping the ball is all a dealership does.

this sounds like a dropped ball situation, unlike the "hinds" thread (for example) where they couldn't find the ball if it was fired at their forehead at high speed....

Edited by magley64

If the owner makes it right then at least he is doing the right thing, but the sales staff / and service need to be looked at.

There is no way that bike if it was even moved around by a mechanic they wouldn't havent know there was something wrong with the forks. I know it had lost oil when it made it to my house, but even just pulling it off the side stand it would pogo because the right fork at least wouldn't settle. I Rode it down the hill at 10-15 mph and it pulled right the whole way because of the fork.

My guess is they took this bike in and since the other customer left it there not sure he was going to trade it in they never looked at it, then sold it to a customer. Now if Dave had kept riding this bike I know it would have ended badly as this bike was not farm from a nasty tank slapper from letting off the gas or hitting a pot hole.

Now the motor in defense to Middletown (if they never reved the bike since they had it) the smoke isn't noticeable at idle or even 4-5k RPM at idle. But you can see under load, but the test rider would see it untill they get it up to 10k or so (but even then if no one is watching they won't see it).

However had they ridden it before selling it the fork would have been a dead giveaway.

But a salesman saying a bike is immaculate that has not even been looked by a mechanic, and then not taking of the problem at the first sign says that the sales team needs to be addressed and policy that used bikes are gone over by service before sale to avoid this issue again.

It obviously didn't occur right away with the OP. They test rode it and I am sure they went through it. A lot of dealers take in trades and go through the stuff, but they don't do leak down checks and they don't do things like compression checks if everything runs fine and works good. Thus, the "as-is" statement... If they went through the motor with a fine tooth comb, they'd offer a warranty.

+1

Yeah unless someone was watching this bike pull away and the rider hit the gas it would not be very noticeable.

However if they had ridden it, the fork leak would have been very prevalent and noticeable by a mechanic.

I think the situation with the original owner leaving the bike there for months not sure if he wanted to trade it in played a part. I just don't think they even rode it before Dave bought. As by the time he rode it home, to work, then to my house (about 20 miles total) I would say the bike was a hazard to ride at anything over 30 mph in a straight line.

If the owner makes it right then at least he is doing the right thing, but the sales staff / and service need to be looked at.

There is no way that bike if it was even moved around by a mechanic they wouldn't havent know there was something wrong with the forks. I know it had lost oil when it made it to my house, but even just pulling it off the side stand it would pogo because the right fork at least wouldn't settle. I Rode it down the hill at 10-15 mph and it pulled right the whole way because of the fork.

My guess is they took this bike in and since the other customer left it there not sure he was going to trade it in they never looked at it, then sold it to a customer. Now if Dave had kept riding this bike I know it would have ended badly as this bike was not farm from a nasty tank slapper from letting off the gas or hitting a pot hole.

Now the motor in defense to Middletown (if they never reved the bike since they had it) the smoke isn't noticeable at idle or even 4-5k RPM at idle. But you can see under load, but the test rider would see it untill they get it up to 10k or so (but even then if no one is watching they won't see it).

However had they ridden it before selling it the fork would have been a dead giveaway.

But a salesman saying a bike is immaculate that has not even been looked by a mechanic, and then not taking of the problem at the first sign says that the sales team needs to be addressed and policy that used bikes are gone over by service before sale to avoid this issue again.

chris!! you posted!! lol yeah man without you or your dad with all the help you guys have been since i first started riding back in 06 i dont know what i would do. but yeah man i cant stress it enough i just want my bike to work and be fixed and if middletown is gonna help with it then props to them after speaking wtih the owner i feel alot more comfortable..

Just a note - a fork without even any oil in it will not cause the bike to pull to that side. The forks act together as one unit. If it pulls, it could be a bent fork possibly, but I doubt that's the case. I just wanted to make mention that putting in the wrong rate spring and the right one in the other just simply makes the fork bottom out or dive quickly - not pull...

As far as the seal leaking on you and not them - again... possible that it was not leaking when they rode it or had it on the floor. That would mean that a floor guy would have had to be cleaning the fork as it seaped the entire time it was at the shop as oil would have been easily noticed while it was sitting...

All I am saying and NOT defending one way or the other, but these are allogations that cannot be proven and yet are really opinions.

Do I think the motor should be taken care of by Middletown? I think you have the answer in Aaron working it out. The fork seals? Could have happened earlier and never was noticed by the dealership. Much like a lot of riders do not know their forks are leaking until there is a puddle under the bike... Could have happened the minute they stopped at the first stop sign. Seals have to start leaking at some point and as it stands, it could have started the minute it was ridden again after sitting in the showroom... Happens.

+1

Yeah unless someone was watching this bike pull away and the rider hit the gas it would not be very noticeable.

However if they had ridden it, the fork leak would have been very prevalent and noticeable by a mechanic.

I think the situation with the original owner leaving the bike there for months not sure if he wanted to trade it in played a part. I just don't think they even rode it before Dave bought. As by the time he rode it home, to work, then to my house (about 20 miles total) I would say the bike was a hazard to ride at anything over 30 mph in a straight line.

Again, the seals could have been fine for them. Also, the forks being that soft as you say, it would have been almost completely out of fork oil...

All I am saying is that it could have been ridden by them and checked throughly and not had any signs of a fork leak. They also could have not seen any motor issues at the time, either. They do not ride these bikes daily and thus, once checked, they are put on the floor and sold. Sitting with a leaky fork seal would have shown it's head instantly and they either would have had to clean it everyday or fix it...

Just a note - a fork without even any oil in it will not cause the bike to pull to that side. The forks act together as one unit. If it pulls, it could be a bent fork possibly, but I doubt that's the case. I just wanted to make mention that putting in the wrong rate spring and the right one in the other just simply makes the fork bottom out or dive quickly - not pull...

As far as the seal leaking on you and not them - again... possible that it was not leaking when they rode it or had it on the floor. That would mean that a floor guy would have had to be cleaning the fork as it seaped the entire time it was at the shop as oil would have been easily noticed while it was sitting...

All I am saying and NOT defending one way or the other, but these are allogations that cannot be proven and yet are really opinions.

Do I think the motor should be taken care of by Middletown? I think you have the answer in Aaron working it out. The fork seals? Could have happened earlier and never was noticed by the dealership. Much like a lot of riders do not know their forks are leaking until there is a puddle under the bike... Could have happened the minute they stopped at the first stop sign. Seals have to start leaking at some point and as it stands, it could have started the minute it was ridden again after sitting in the showroom... Happens.

yeah i mean the day i took delivery of it we inspected it let it run only thing we saw was a clip missing on lower rear fairing they fixed right then and there. then i rode home noticed it that night then took it to chris and sure enough they where leaking as for the motor i never noticed till my bro was following me saying that when i passed him at 10-12k rpms said it speud out smoke thats when that delema happened like a week after the fork seals problem cause middletown had the bike for a week and a half after i boguht it casue the seals where on back order or something..

It's getting to the point where the Ohio dealers are just going to start asking you if you're an OR.net member when you walk in the door... they'll know better what they can and cannot sell you on.

I like that.

I agree! I think in this economy that dealerships should be bending over backwards to get customers! If they want my business, they better treat me right! :)

Yes Seals can be overlooked, but as bad as it was when he made it to my house there is no way it wasn't bad when the dealer took ownership of it is all I am saying.

And Yes on Decel at slower speeds the bike did pull/try to lean to the right. It took pressure on the left clip on to keep it straight. No maybe on a perfectly flat road with flat tires it wouldn't pull.

Would be a good experiment. Take two springs 100lb and 600lb spring set them a 10 inches apart. take a metal rod and have a press with a swiviel head push a metal par down direcly in the center of the springs. First slow push then a fast initial push.

I bet at slow the bar may not tilt due to the fact that the softer spring will sill keep tension on the bar and just compress at the rate of the stiffer spring.

But a hard initial hit I think the weaker spring will give more initial and up with the bar leaning to one side.

Need to call mythbusters to do that one.