dog tore acl

russian rocket

Ohio State for a TPLO or TTA. Orthopedics is a specialty that most veterinary general practitioners are only decent at. A real veterinary orthopedic surgeon has 4 additional years of orthopedic training as well other accreditations

Ohio State for a TPLO or TTA. Orthopedics is a specialty that most veterinary general practitioners are only decent at. A real veterinary orthopedic surgeon has 4 additional years of orthopedic training as well other accreditations

My Husky had Patelar luxation (knee cap displaced to the side) at 9 months, and Ohio State did a fantastic job. She is now almost 4 and runs like a champ!

Hers was about $1,500.

How bad is it? My dog had a torn ACL earlier this year, and the vet just gave her some pain killers for about a week and then started her on a joint suppliment, and she has been fine since. I guess we got lucky and it wasn't that bad on my dog.

How bad is it? My dog had a torn ACL earlier this year, and the vet just gave her some pain killers for about a week and then started her on a joint suppliment, and she has been fine since. I guess we got lucky and it wasn't that bad on my dog.

its a full tear. my vet said there is no way around not doing surgery. how big is your dog? my vet told me generally dogs around 20 lbs it can heal the way you described but anything bigger it wont heal.

Dr. Barnheart at MedVet did my mothers Chihuahua's knees. Like Killjoy, i believe she had patelar luxation. Cost my mom $2,500 to have it done, and she's back in surgery today (2 months later) having her left knee done again because he feels like one of the pins has backed out. It's costing another $800 to have it redone. I'm not sure I recommend it at this time.

thanks for the suggetions. looks like village vet is the cheapest at 500-600. he told me he has done it on bigger dogs but the failure rate is higher which concerns me. osu told me 2800-3000

$500-600 for an advanced orthopedic surgery concerns me. Any vet who is worth a damn on that surgery is going to charge at least $1500. You get what you pay for.

Dr. Barnheart at MedVet did my mothers Chihuahua's knees. Like Killjoy, i believe she had patelar luxation. Cost my mom $2,500 to have it done, and she's back in surgery today (2 months later) having her left knee done again because he feels like one of the pins has backed out. It's costing another $800 to have it redone. I'm not sure I recommend it at this time.

Barnheart is one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country (of course Dyce at OSU is probably THE best in the country).

$500-600 for an advanced orthopedic surgery concerns me. Any vet who is worth a damn on that surgery is going to charge at least $1500. You get what you pay for.

it's location... Prothman is an AWESOME vet and he really cares about the animals... I talked to him one time about price and he said he saw no reason to rip people off. Mt Gilead is a small town. Don't have any worries about prothman, he will take care of your dog. We have taken all of our dogs to him for years!

it's location... Prothman is an AWESOME vet and he really cares about the animals... I talked to him one time about price and he said he saw no reason to rip people off. Mt Gilead is a small town. Don't have any worries about prothman, he will take care of your dog. We have taken all of our dogs to him for years!

That's nice, but no. That surgery starting $1500 is not a rip off. Caring about the animals and having the skills to perform an advanced orthopedic surgery are 2 different things. A lot of clinics do not even attempt TTAs and TPLOs because of how advanced they are. When Barnheart got to Medvet in 1999, he was the first to ever perform a TPLO there. That tells you how advanced it is and that a "cheap caring vet" is not your best option. Honestly, on a surgery like this, you get what you pay for.

It's honestly a "yeah, I'll attempt it" price.

Barnheart is one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country (of course Dyce at OSU is probably THE best in the country).

My wife is an Ophthalmologist at Med Vet. She did her residency at OSU. She agrees with this 100%. She recommends MetVet for these reasons:

No students will be "learning" on your dog. Many mistakes are made by students.

No 1st/2nd year residents will be doing the work. Her first cataract surgery took 3x longer as a resident then it does now. More time under the gas = more trauma

Overall, your wait time is less at MedVet because the Drs. are not teaching students. Wife see a case in 20 min now compared to 45 at OSU (most of which was owners sitting in the waiting room while students took turns looking at the dogs).

That's nice, but no. That surgery starting $1500 is not a rip off. Caring about the animals and having the skills to perform an advanced orthopedic surgery are 2 different things. A lot of clinics do not even attempt TTAs and TPLOs because of how advanced they are. When Barnheart got to Medvet in 1999, he was the first to ever perform a TPLO there. That tells you how advanced it is and that a "cheap caring vet" is not your best option. Honestly, on a surgery like this, you get what you pay for.

It's honestly a "yeah, I'll attempt it" price.

ignorance is bliss...

he's a good vet, it's not up to you to dispute, you don't know him nor have ever had anything done by him so you have no idea what you're talking about end of story.... it's pretty sad when a good vet gets looked down upon because he's not trying to rip people off.

ignorance is bliss...

he's a good vet, it's not up to you to dispute, you don't know him nor have ever had anything done by him so you have no idea what you're talking about end of story.... it's pretty sad when a good vet gets looked down upon because he's not trying to rip people off.

I know way more than you think. It has nothing to do with ripping people off. It has everything to do with a vet who knows what they are doing charging for the value of surgery they are doing. My wife's clinic is one of the cheaper ones in the Columbus area and their lead surgeon (who is actually trained in TTAs and TPLOs) would charge $2000 for a dog this size. That includes meds, hospitalization, anesthesia, and the actual surgery. Any vet worth a damn is gonna charge more than that for that surgery. $600 for that surgery is nothing more than a "yeah I can attempt it".

My wife is an Ophthalmologist at Med Vet. She did her residency at OSU. She agrees with this 100%. She recommends MetVet for these reasons:

No students will be "learning" on your dog. Many mistakes are made by students.

No 1st/2nd year residents will be doing the work. Her first cataract surgery took 3x longer as a resident then it does now. More time under the gas = more trauma

Overall, your wait time is less at MedVet because the Drs. are not teaching students. Wife see a case in 20 min now compared to 45 at OSU (most of which was owners sitting in the waiting room while students took turns looking at the dogs).

When was she a at OSU?

My sister is a radiology tech at MedVet, ask her if she knows Shelley