In an accident: insurance question

Miller

I guess the only thing I am curious about after being rear-ended and finding my car to be a total loss is this: do I have to pay my deductible or should the other driver? I'm sitting here looking at these documents from Nationwide and my deductible is clearly subtracted from my payout. Why would I pay for that when the other codger is at fault?

I guess the only thing I am curious about after being rear-ended and finding my car to be a total loss is this: do I have to pay my deductible or should the other driver? I'm sitting here looking at these documents from Nationwide and my deductible is clearly subtracted from my payout. Why would I pay for that when the other codger is at fault?

Were both of you insured through Nationwide? Call your agent and ask why its listed. You shouldn't have to pay it or have it deducted from the payout.

It sounds like you may have set up a claim with Nationwide. I would call the other person's insurance company and deal with them. Then tell Nationwide that you shouldn't have a claim with them.

Were both of you insured through Nationwide? Call your agent and ask why its listed. You shouldn't have to pay it or have it deducted from the payout.

It sounds like you may have set up a claim with Nationwide. I would call the other person's insurance company and deal with them. Then tell Nationwide that you shouldn't have a claim with them.

Thanks I'll talk to them tomorrow. I've been confused, I haven't been in an accident since I was a kid and this guy had a bond not your traditional insurance.

It sounds like your insurance is going to pay for the car and go after the other guy. Hence you having to pay your own deductible. If they collect it, they will generally reimburse you, other wise, you will have to go after the offending driver in small claims court.

If your own insurance pays out you always pay your deductible. When (if) they get it back, they'll send you a check. My ins (Progressive) was very aggressive to an uninsured motorist and got a portion of our deductible back even though she wasn't insured. We didn't expect it.

I was in your situation a few years ago and I only dealt with the other driver's insurance company. I filed the claim with his insurance, they called to confirm with him and I didn't have to pay anything to have my car repaired.

Assuming you did all of this through your own insurance company vs. going through the other driver, then yes you will have your deductible taken out. Ask if it can be waived (assuming the other driver's insurer accepted liability on his/her behalf), otherwise your company will subrogate against the other driver's company and at some point you should get your deductible back in the mail. PM me if you have specific questions.

If your own insurance pays out you always pay your deductible. When (if) they get it back, they'll send you a check. My ins (Progressive) was very aggressive to an uninsured motorist and got a portion of our deductible back even though she wasn't insured. We didn't expect it.

Aggressive is an understatement, I work at Progressive and have a few files going through subrogation right now. They will do everything in their power to get that money back because aside from benefiting you as a customer, it also means the company gets the money back that they paid out for your repairs too.

This, I had a guy turn out in front of me a few years back and totalled my car. My insurance paid me minus my deductible, and when this retard finally figured out that I had the right of way and quit fighting his ticket, his insurance paid my insurance and I was reimbursed for my deductible.

Aggressive is an understatement' date=' I work at Progressive and have a few files going through subrogation right now. They will do everything in their power to get that money back because aside from benefiting you as a customer, it also means the company gets the money back that they paid out for your repairs too.[/quote']

I have always had an experience beyond pleasant when having to deal with my own insurance company, and that's the reason why I will never switch from Progressive, no matter how much money I can save.

You always have to pay your deductible when the insurance company pays you. You have the option of suing the other driver but if you win you won't see the money for years. I always suggest having full coverage with $250 deductible on your daily driver. If you have a 2nd, 3rd, whatever car you can get a higher deductible and/or less coverage. My 2 cars with full coverage and $500 deductible is only $70 a month :)