Freak Accident

wagner

This happend a few years ago and not sure if it was posted here:

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/15135-first-responder-to-nesbitt-car-i-had-no-idea-what-htranspired

Cliffs: Total driveline failure, driveshaft comes in car, almost rips her arm off.

Look at the pic, you can see part of the shaft to the left of the car and the force of the stuff entering the car bows the windows :(

Now she is suing

http://bangshift.com/blog/barbara-nesbitt-suing-nmca-nhra-skinny-kid-race-cars-and-others-in-conjunction-with-injuries-sustained-in-2010-incident.html

Cliffs: Someone screwed up, bad.

This is why a good, smart, well run track will enforce rules, to protect against litigation. This is also why it is better to not try and "run till you get booted" because you are one freak accident away from something very bad happening.

A tragic accident and one we all who race hope never to deal with. However; every time we go down the track we risk a lot. It's something we know or should know before we attempt a pass. I hope she is healing and able to move past the accident. Also, I hope she loses her suit. People can't just go around sueing for every bad thing that happens in there life. No one did anything wrong on that horrid day. As bad as that day was, she at least left the track with her life.

So she is suing because they didn't stop her from racing in a car that she knew was not safe.........

Thats a great idea. I'm going to soak my slicks in WD40 and then not do a burnout and make millions. After I win I'm going to take all of CR out to dinner. Where do you all want to go?

So she is suing because they didn't stop her from racing in a car that she knew was not safe.........

Pretty much sounds like it. Trying to expose a loophole in the rules so suing is ok I guess.

Skinnykid will get removed from the suit, they built the car, she put the motor in their to go faster than the safty requirments.

In her suit, Nesbitt is arguing that her car did not have a “drivetrain cover” as specified by the rules of the class. She is suing the NMCA who put on the race, the NHRA apparently because their rules didn’t have this requirement in them, ProMedia (owners of NMCA), Skinny Kid Race Cars who built her car, and a person listed as “NHRA employee” Ted Peters.

Hope she is healing up nicely. I agree though. Sue those people/entities???? You were the one who chose to run the car bitch.

Cliffs: Someone screwed up, bad.

I think I'm leaning with everyone else on this one and put this one on the team. If she had all the NHRA mandated safety gear then the track was correct to clear her to run. NHRA's safety rules cannot cover every possible contingency though. We as racers have to accept some responsibility for our choices. Sounds like she thinks that a drive line tunnel should be mandated at that level instead of just two loops. The article states it's not an expensive modification. If that's the case why didn't she do it herself even though it's not mandated. The reason why is that neither she nor NHRA thought that would happen. She didn't foresee this happening, but she's sueing NHRA because they didn't either?

I'm assuming this is not a common event, has anything like this ever happened at that level before? Maybe it's time for a rule change. If this has happened before then maybe the rules should have been changed and her suit has some merit. NHRA strikes me as being pretty reactionary and not making rules until there is a reason for the rule.

Nesbitt is arguing that her car did not have a “drivetrain cover” as specified by the rules of the class. .

This is the main issue for the suit I think. She is going to say they did not catch this, hence blaming the tech people.

Is she in the wrong for running a car that did not have this? Fuck yes.

This is the thing with a law suit, you file against anybody, everybody, and hope something sticks or someone settles.

I think I'm leaning with everyone else on this one and put this one on the team. If she had all the NHRA mandated safety gear then the track was correct to clear her to run. NHRA's safety rules cannot cover every possible contingency though. We as racers have to accept some responsibility for our choices. Sounds like she thinks that a drive line tunnel should be mandated at that level instead of just two loops. The article states it's not an expensive modification. If that's the case why didn't she do it herself even though it's not mandated. The reason why is that neither she nor NHRA thought that would happen. She didn't foresee this happening, but she's sueing NHRA because they didn't either?

I'm assuming this is not a common event, has anything like this ever happened at that level before? Maybe it's time for a rule change. If this has happened before then maybe the rules should have been changed and her suit has some merit. NHRA strikes me as being pretty reactionary and not making rules until there is a reason for the rule.

Driveshafts break everyday there is drag racing. It's going to happen no matter how nad ass your DS is. They're only made of metal and they get a lot of stress. There is no way to prevent them from breaking. You as a car owner and driver have to determine that your parts, no matter what thier function, are al in good safe working order. Does anyone know when thier DS is going to break, I would say no unless its physically apparent that something is wrong with it. Dual safety loops are not meant to satisfy a DS failure more so that they're meant to contain a U-joint failure which is more common and that is why a tunnel is not mandatory for classes below pro stock. My guess is someone after the fact asked why she didn't have a tunnel and that's what started the process of sueing. I can't believe she would have raced a car previously thinking

'hey, why don't I need a safety tunnel for my DS in case it breaks and shredds my arm? "

The NHRA is very strong for safety. To the point that some of us at lower levels of racing question why do we need to do (fill in th e blank)? If they made and inforced rules to prevent any and all injuries no matter small or large then there would not be any fun in racing. If they require a safety tunnel of that class as a "reaction" to an event, would a proactive safety measure be to require a tunnel on all vehicles regardless of class, HP, speed or E.T.? So I would be required to install a safety tunnel on my Trans Am that runs 13's? Drag racing is not a high risk sport, it's an extremely high risk sport. Whe she decided to man a ????HP car to run somewhere in the 7,8,9,10,11,12+ second range she decided to accept the risk of personal injury or even death. Thats part of the rush of drag racing.

This is the main issue for the suit I think. She is going to say they did not catch this, hence blaming the tech people.

Is she in the wrong for running a car that did not have this? Fuck yes.

This is the thing with a law suit, you file against anybody, everybody, and hope something sticks or someone settles.

Maybe I missed it, but I picked up that her argument was:

Skinny kid didnt make car safe (and presumably she was not aware they didnt have the right features for her class)

The track tech / Governing body for event didnt find the missing safety feature

Her thought being: I didnt know my car wasnt up to standards, and htey didnt catch it....

Still ridiculous...

A tragic accident and one we all who race hope never to deal with. However; every time we go down the track we risk a lot. It's something we know or should know before we attempt a pass. I hope she is healing and able to move past the accident. Also, I hope she loses her suit. People can't just go around sueing for every bad thing that happens in there life. No one did anything wrong on that horrid day. As bad as that day was, she at least left the track with her life.

+1

Maybe I missed it, but I picked up that her argument was:

Skinny kid didnt make car safe (and presumably she was not aware they didnt have the right features for her class)

The track tech / Governing body for event didnt find the missing safety feature

Her thought being: I didnt know my car wasnt up to standards, and htey didnt catch it....

Still ridiculous...

Yeah, trying to pass the buck and blame the tech staff.

Ignorance is not bliss as she found it, it can come though the floor of your car and try to fuck you up.

To me all of this just drives home the point, keep it legal to keep it safe.

It is not like the situation at Thompson where they did not tech car, car not safe to go as fast as it was, did not sign waiver, guy dies in freak accident.

oh and Jones LOL

If the tech crew made a reasonable effort to ensure the car was safe, even if they did not catch everything, then they should win the suit. If they didn't, it's neglect on their part that could have led to a preventable accident. Pretty simple.

This person is a retard. These are some of the reasons that Tech is beyond stupid to race, Im sure the car was built well and missing some panel that for sure could of changed the outcome of that pass. That is why you need to know your car and what the requirements are to go that fast and things that may not be a requirement but could help your outcome if shit goes down hill.

I know my car has a ton more stuff that could be done and needs to be done to make it safer whenever I get out to the track.

“This elapsed time, from me leaving the starting line with the golf cart to (getting to her race car) this has gotta be five to six minutes,” Demory estimated.

What?

She was in the middle of the shutdown area, call it a half-mile. It'd be about a two minute drive with most golf carts, they generally top out at around 15mph at best. And he wasn't hurrying to rescue her, he was checking the track for oil and debris as he went along. I don't get why the safety crew or top-end safety guy would have just been watching a car sit on the track for that long though.