Spark Plug Gaps?

EvilTwin

Read the shop manjual and see what it tells you your gap should be.. Just because your others were at 35 doesnt mean thats right. And just because the new ones are at 30, doesnt mean thats right..

The manual is your friend.

On regular ordinary plugs your best gap is the largest one that does not decrease your 1/4 mile trap times/speeds. Of course, you need multiple trips down a track to find that out. The gap given in the owner's manual/shop manual is fine unless you find out something else is actually better. I wouldn't consider increasing the gap unless I had modified my secondary ignition (hot side of the coil, high voltage).

Iridium plugs have a large gap based on the design. If anything, misfires might result in having to decrease the gap. Difficult to do, and easy to damage the plug.

btw, do not bend ECS electrodes. See pic below, standard electrode on left, ECS style electrode on right. Both are NGK. If an ECS gap isn't correct, take it back and exchange it for another one.

post-9966-1231421793.jpg