Want blur? - shoot fast glass and go shallow

TTQ B4U

Editing some pics for someone who is shooting with some slow glass. I can fix a lot but wouldn't want to spend 3-4 minutes on every pic, thus for me, fast glass of good quality is well worth the price.

Here's an example: User shot it at f/8 which was their idea thinking "shoot for sharp focus"; instead, they should have shot wide open. However, in their case at 300mm f/4.5 (their lens's fastest speed) would still not have blurred the shot much especially on their non full-frame camera.

Before:

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/145649982/original.jpg

After:

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/145649983/original.jpg

Thus the solution:

• Buy Fast lenses
  • Don't buy cheap fast lenses as you don't want to trade Image Quality for DOF
  • Zoom in and really separate that background no one wants to see

End results will be a completely different perspective on shots and it will add a little WOW! factor to your shooting.

I still have to figure out how to properly post process a blurry background without making it look dumb. Oh well something to learn!

I just tend to shoot fast glass, but I admit I've frequently missed a focus that I should have nailed.

How do you avoid glowing edges in your post process? I guess I haven't tried it in a few years but back when I did, especially around hair, it was nearly impossible to replicate a true shallow dof.

How do you avoid glowing edges in your post process? I guess I haven't tried it in a few years but back when I did, especially around hair, it was nearly impossible to replicate a true shallow dof.

Most of what I do when PP'ing images like this is for clients. How familiar are you with masking? There are a few different ways to mask off the subject to remain in focus. I keep the masks simple, but effective and any strangler hairs or areas of blur can be fixed with selectively blending the layers.

In 3 min? You have a faster hand than I. I assume you use a wacom, does it speed up edits that much?

Let's just say if you're into photoshop or creative work you won't do without one once you set it up and use it regularly. I have a laundry list of shortcuts tied to it and actions that help too. I hardly touch a keyboard or when editing.