C'mon, Chevy!

zeitgeist57

Aside from still being Obama's bitch, GM sucks because of the Euro offerings that aren't available stateside:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/29/chevy-to-unveil-updated-spark-malibu-diesel-and-orlando-turbo-i/

If the Malibu's sales suck in the U.S., and the same model was developed to offer a diesel engine in Europe, would it REALLY be that much more to offer a diesel/stick shift in the U.S.? What would the Orlando cannibalize stateside that prevents Chevy from selling it here? Aside from fleet sales, do they REALLY make enough money by having so many different brands, platforms, and competing products globally? I like what Chevy has to offer...the only problem is they only offer it overseas.

Meet "New" GM, same as the old GM. :thumbdown

GM lovers, please opine with facts about the cost to have a diesel meet U.S. EPA regulations...I still can't see the harm in spending a couple more bucks to truly have a global powertrain platform.

On the plus side, Chevy is going to sell the Colorado in the U.S...

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2012/08/2012-global-pickup-shootout.html%20

...and I still have love for Cadillac and the CTS-V. :)

I dont think spending the extra cash is the problem. From what i understand is at this point, its purely due to the lack of sales they forsee. Gm doesnt think the US buyer will opt to spend the extra for the diesel option and still have to pay more at the pump.

But for the most part, it is true...

By the time you spend the money to make a Euro model for the stateside market, including all changes for emissions, new crash tests with the new motor/ driveline ect. ect. ect.

Who is going to buy this vehicle with all of the above passed on to the consumer?

We all agree a 4 door family sedan that gets 60mpg, and comes with heated leather seats, corners like a lotus, and accelerates like a CTS-V would be awesome, but nobody wants to pay the 60-70K it would cost to bring such a machine stateside.

I dont think spending the extra cash is the problem. From what i understand is at this point, its purely due to the lack of sales they forsee. Gm doesnt think the US buyer will opt to spend the extra for the diesel option and still have to pay more at the pump.

Cash Fixes everything. If it's broke, just keep dumping money into it. Works well for our country, why wouldn't it work for GM too. :lolguy:

I'm with you, GM just really misses the boat on certain things. Look back at the 90's when the F-Body's were crushing the mustangs in performance, yet the Mustangs outsold the F-body's like 2 to 1.

^^ this. I grew up in a family selling cars and all the talk here about diesel interests and even the whole stick shift interest is fun but not real. People here aren't going to pay more for a car AND pay more at the pump for what would be less HP. Why? Esepcailly on the models shown in this artical.

State side it's about potential sales volumes. Adding a diesel engine to a Malibu is like putting purple lipstick on a pig. You'd just have a fucking ugly pig with ugly purple lipstick

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-european-diesel-cars

This talks about what hurdles exist in the U.S. for a more mass-acceptance of diesel cars, but still doesn't go into why Euro diesel cars aren't offered in the states...

Just because I woudn't buy a diesel Malibu doesn't mean I don't want to see one being offered in the States to compete against Mercedes and VW for a midsize sedan with turbo-diesel power...

I can say that diesel motored cars are popular in europe because of the way oil is refined over there. it is refined to yield more diesel than gas, and its refined for the opposite here in the states. but what I don't understand is why people are saying diesel is more expensive than gas here in the states, but I have to wonder what the savings per year would be due to mpg.

Just because I woudn't buy a diesel Malibu doesn't mean I don't want to see one being offered in the States to compete against Mercedes and VW for a midsize sedan with turbo-diesel power...

Malibu competing with Mercedes and VW :confused:

:yuno: Law off the pipe Clay.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-european-diesel-cars

This talks about what hurdles exist in the U.S. for a more mass-acceptance of diesel cars, but still doesn't go into why Euro diesel cars aren't offered in the states...

With how much you like your passat, would you really purchase a new Malibu diesel over a new passat TDI?

If so, :dumb: