Fuel Pump relay problems.

BigOxley

I have a relay hard wired to my fuel pump. I did a big pull the other the day and the car died. After sitting for about 5 minutes, the car would start up then die about a minute and a half later. Fuel pressure would drop to nothing before it died.

Replaced the relay for the fuel pump. The car worked for a while (50 minutes of driving), but then the new relay died. It's on its third relay now. And it looks like this one is going out now.

The fuel pump is the new Walbro 416lph E85 pump. The relays are just standard auto store relays. The fuel pump is almost maxed out in the current setup.

Any ideas?

Whats the current draw? If the fuel pump draws more then its rated for it'll burn it out, not sure what the specs would be, but I do know that most hotwire kits come with a large relay. I think the one in my Camaro is a 40A relay but I'm not positive.

I'd bet that upgrading from a basic autozone relay to something bigger would do the trick, if it were me I'd buy a universal hotwire kit so the wiring gets upgraded as well.

A relay like this http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=1095

or preferably this

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=675

Whats the current draw? If the fuel pump draws more then its rated for it'll burn it out, not sure what the specs would be, but I do know that most hotwire kits come with a large relay. I think the one in my Camaro is a 40A relay but I'm not positive.

I'd bet that upgrading from a basic autozone relay to something bigger would do the trick, if it were me I'd buy a universal hotwire kit so the wiring gets upgraded as well.

I agree with Scott. Upgrading just the relay can tax the original wiring and possibly cause a fire.

yeah, it's an upgraded universal wiring kit and a 40A relay. it's a brand new model of fuel pump, maybe even first production batch.

Then get yourself an inductive amp meter and check its draw under load, that is where I'd start since you've replaced the same part a few times.