Need advice on a video camera!

-Alex-

My wife's birthday is Monday and I'm planning on buying a video camera for her today or tomorrow. I'm not really up with technology and whatnot, so I'm hoping you guys can help out.

I'm trying to keep it under $400. I know she wants HD, which I assume they all are anymore, and she's looked at a few that had a projector, but I assume those are out of budget. Her main reason for wanting a new one is our 5 month old son, so I'd like to get something that won't be terribly outdated next year.

Panny is slightly nicer than Sony but both are excellent and Sony is likely more in your price range. I bought a Sony CX160 last Christmas and love it. Sony Vegas for about $100 is more than enough software power to edit too.

Not sure what the new models are but here's a pic of it compared to a phone and small P&S Camera.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/140905761/original.jpg

I'm not terribly knowledgable on these anymore, but I would recommend you go somewhere (Best Buy) and play with a few, look at the specs, and price them out. Then hop on Amazon and read some reviews of the ones you see. Often times the top rated reviews will recommend another camera. Plus it should be cheaper online (not necessarily on Amazon), than at Best Buy. I think when I was looking this past winter there was a Canon VIXIA that was around that price range that I was planning on picking up but didn't because it wasn't in stock. I would look at those.

I'm not terribly knowledgable on these anymore, but I would recommend you go somewhere (Best Buy) and play with a few, look at the specs, and price them out. Then hop on Amazon and read some reviews of the ones you see. Often times the top rated reviews will recommend another camera. Plus it should be cheaper online (not necessarily on Amazon), than at Best Buy. I think when I was looking this past winter there was a Canon VIXIA that was around that price range that I was planning on picking up but didn't because it wasn't in stock. I would look at those.

I would suggest going to a CAMERA store, over best buy.. (Midwest, or World of Used Photography come to mind for video, columbus camera group, not so much)

There is a dedicated video section at Midwest, i'd bet they would likely be able to steer you in the right direction for whatever you want to get out of the camera for her.

I really appreciate the advice, but I live in Wellston. I'm 40-45 min from Chillicothe (which will most likely be where I buy it), and 1.5 hrs south of Columbus. In other words, I'm stuck with your basic electronics stores.

Tim, I'm not seeing the CX160, but the CX190 is within my budget and I'm assuming just an updated model, l'll definitely look into it.

99bigbirdCOTA, I see the Canon VIXIA R300 is more or less the same price as the Sony CX190 and has slightly better zoom and a larger screen. I'll try to find a store with both on display and see how they fit my hand and whatnot. It's a gift for her, but let's face it, dad is always in charge of recording. :fuuuu:

Tim, I'm not seeing the CX160, but the CX190 is within my budget and I'm assuming just an updated model, l'll definitely look into it.

Could be the newer version? I'm not sure. Again, mine is from last November so I would imagine there's a newer one now.

x2 on Midwest, although I bought mine at HHGregg only because it was more of an impulse thing at the time.